Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Best Book about Shiloh - The Battle of Shiloh - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Apr 9th, 2009 01:20 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Shiloh experts, what in your opinion is the best, most complete non-fiction work on the Battle of Shiloh (Pittsburg Landing)? I want one with lots of detail.

Posted: Thu Apr 9th, 2009 01:35 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

O. Edward Cunningham's Shiloh and the Western Campaign of 1862.  Hands down one of the best books I have read on a campaign or battle.   Might have to use a map or two but the book itself it wonderful  Very detailed.

Susan

Posted: Thu Apr 9th, 2009 03:10 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
barrydancer

Mana: 

Not battle narratives, but Timothy B. Smith's two works on the battle and battlefield, This Great Battlefield of Shiloh and The Untold Story of Shiloh are both excellent.

I didn't know about Cunningham's work, but I'll give it a look now that I do. I love Shiloh. Must go back there next time I'm home.

Posted: Thu Apr 9th, 2009 03:19 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Smith was the co author on the Cunningham book.  Cunningham wrote the book as a diseratation 40 years ago.  Smith edited it for publication .  It is well worth a look.

Susan

Posted: Thu Apr 9th, 2009 01:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

I'm headed straight to Amazon.com to check out all these suggestions. I hope I can afford all three.

Posted: Thu Apr 9th, 2009 02:06 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
wordpix

Mana: 

Do any of these books offer insight into civilian life around Pittsburg Landing before/after the battle? (My ancestors lived there at the time.)

Posted: Thu Apr 9th, 2009 03:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
ole

Mana: 

Not very likely, wordpix. There were like 23 farms there. Most of them are named ... Rhea field, Jones field.

Pittsburg Landing was just that, a landing. The boats would come in and load up on wood. And maybe they'd drop off some flour and pick up some grain. Your people were in the sticks, but at least had some contact with the outside world.

Which field was yours.

Ole

Posted: Thu Apr 9th, 2009 04:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Hey Wordpix!!....My family was in McNairy County, TN before and after Shiloh.....Last name is Flowers....

Are you any relation???

Nice to meet you!

Posted: Thu Apr 9th, 2009 04:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
wordpix

Mana: 

Thanks Ole & Albert.

First to answer Ole, Duncan field, mainly. Joseph and Harriet Duncan were my g-g-grandparents. Thomas and Rebecca Strawn Hurley were my g-g-g-grandparents. They owned the plantation that was north of the current park, and I believe I've seen a map that showed the two families' land shared a boundary. The Duncans' son married the Hurleys' granddaughter. Thomas Hurley died long before the battle, and Rebecca remarried to John G.W. Hagy. So, I have a half-relation to the field noted as "Hagy field" on Major Reed's maps.

Now for Albert, my mother's family was pretty much all from McNairy and Hardin Counties, but I don't see the name Flowers on my family tree. My grandparents were J.C. Taylor and Winnie Duncan Taylor (who grew up on the battlefield, across from the UDC monument, and used to tell me about the days when the monuments were being erected). Other names in my ancestry: Woolverton (or Wolverton), Holman, Williams, Shults and Kemp. (My g-g-grandmother had three brothers who fought for the Union with Hurst's Worst.) Since both our families were in McNairy County long before the Civil War, I'm sure we're cousins.

John

Last edited on Thu Apr 9th, 2009 04:44 pm by wordpix

Posted: Thu Apr 9th, 2009 05:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Wordpix,

My g-g-grandfather, Henry V. Flowers was Sergeant, Co. A, 6th TN Cav under Hurst!! What a band of brigands they were!!

We also have Partridge in our lineage and some others from there that I can't recall at the moment.

Posted: Thu Apr 9th, 2009 06:03 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
wordpix

Mana: 

My ancestors in the 6th TN Cav:
Nathan McDonald Kemp, Captain, Co. C.
Edward Elemuel Kemp, Sergeant
Joseph Warren Kemp, Sergeant

Back to the discussion topic... does anyone know of a book that will give insight into life before/after the battle... even if it doesn't deal directly with Pittsburg Landing?

Posted: Thu Apr 9th, 2009 06:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
barrydancer

Mana: 

My family was in McNairy County long before the war, and they're still there. I was born and raised in Selmer. My AP English teacher senior year of high school was a Flowers.

I'm a Dancer. I also got Gooch, and Kinchen, Britton over towards Adamsville and Hardin County, and a whole host of other names. I'm probably related to half the county one way or another. The population there isn't exactly migratory. :P

Posted: Thu Apr 9th, 2009 06:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
barrydancer

Mana: 

Oh, and I think Smith's work on the establishment of the National Park, This Great Battlefield of Shiloh, has a some information about the land and families before and after the battle. Especially in regards to getting land for the park. Unfortunately all my books are packed away in preparation for moving, so I can't check.

Posted: Fri Apr 10th, 2009 01:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

As for titles on the scrap their; I've always been quite fond of Sword's work; Shiloh, Bloody Shiloh if I remember the title correctly.

Posted: Fri Apr 10th, 2009 05:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

I've read the books by Wiley Sword and Larry Daniel. Daniel goes into more detail about the run-up to the actual battle but Sword's battle narrative is much superior. Overall, Sword's book is better.  I haven't read Cunningham's work.

Last edited on Fri Apr 10th, 2009 05:49 pm by The Iron Duke

Posted: Fri Apr 10th, 2009 08:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Iron Duke get the Cunningham book and read it . It is one of the best battlebooks I have ever read.  Our discussion group at the Drum Barracks read it two years ago and every single member raved about the book.

Susan

Posted: Sat Apr 11th, 2009 12:05 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

The Iron Duke wrote: I've read the books by Wiley Sword and Larry Daniel. Daniel goes into more detail about the run-up to the actual battle but Sword's battle narrative is much superior. Overall, Sword's book is better.  I haven't read Cunningham's work.

I have Wiley Sword's book. His maps are better than average. I still colored them in with colored pencils to make rivers, woods and roads and other points of interest stand out, but even so the maps are better than most. I'm a stickler about maps.

I do like Sword's writing style.

Posted: Sat Apr 11th, 2009 12:51 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Fan wait til you read Cunningham.  His style is so detailed with out being dry. It's like a story being told.  Some of the little stories he tells about the individuals are amazing .

Yes I know I am a cheerleader for this book. 

Susan

Posted: Sat Apr 11th, 2009 01:36 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Susan, I ordered Cunningham's book at Amazon.com thanks to your suggestion early in this thread. I can't wait to read it.

I kind of goofed though. I am tracing the exploits of the Ninth Pennsyvania Cavalry Regiment which operated throughout the Western Theater of Operations. But lo and behold, when I dug out Wiley Sword's book, I discovered the the Ninth PA CAV Rgmt. never saw action at Shiloh!

They are a bit difficult to trace with certainty because they were frequently assigned to varous different corps or brigades or were detached for special cavalry-type assignments, most especially chasing John Hunt Morgan.

Last edited on Sat Apr 11th, 2009 01:36 am by CleburneFan

Posted: Sat Apr 11th, 2009 03:22 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

I am sure you will enjoy the book.  It was a good read. 

Current time is 11:16 pmPage:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2048 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 26 queries executed.