Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Top 5 Books on Antietam - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Apr 20th, 2009 04:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
bschulte
Siege of Petersburg Fan

Mana: 

Guys,

I took some time to write up a blog entry on the Top 5 books on the Battle of Antietam and the Maryland Campaign of 1862.  I'm interested to see what everyone thinks.  Did I do a decent job?  Did I leave YOUR favorite book out?  I'm including my own Top 5 here for you to see, but I also encourage you to click the link, head to the blog entry, and tell me YOUR top 5.

1. Landscape Turned Red: The Battle of Antietam
By Stephen W. Sears

2. The Maryland Campaign of September 1862: Ezra A. Carman’s Definitive Study of the Union and Confederate Armies at Antietam
Edited by Joseph Pierro

3. Taken at the Flood: Robert E. Lee and Confederate Strategy in the Maryland Campaign of 1862
By Joseph L. Harsh

4. The Antietam Campaign and Antietam: Essays on the 1862 Maryland Campaign
Edited by Gary Gallagher

5. Guide to the Battle of Antietam
Edited by Jay Luvaas and Harold W. Nelson

Posted: Mon Apr 20th, 2009 07:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Brett,

I have read all but your #3, and I think that's a pretty good list. I would put Landscape Turned Red first, as well: that was the first book on Antietam that I read, and I've reread it twice since, right before returning to the battlefield.

Regards,

Pam

Posted: Mon Apr 20th, 2009 09:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
bschulte
Siege of Petersburg Fan

Mana: 

pamc153PA wrote: Brett,

I have read all but your #3, and I think that's a pretty good list. I would put Landscape Turned Red first, as well: that was the first book on Antietam that I read, and I've reread it twice since, right before returning to the battlefield.

Regards,

Pam

Thanks Pam!  If you liked Sears' book, I can confidently say you will probably also like Joe Harsh's book.  Ask anyone whose favorite battle and campaign is Antietam, and nine out of ten will probably pick Harsh as their favorite.

Posted: Tue Apr 21st, 2009 07:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
David White

Mana: 

Whoah,  where is James Murfin's Gleam of Bayonets it was the definitive work until Sears came along?

Posted: Tue Apr 21st, 2009 08:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
bschulte
Siege of Petersburg Fan

Mana: 

David White wrote: Whoah,  where is James Murfin's Gleam of Bayonets it was the definitive work until Sears came along?
David,

I address this question in the blog entry.  I made mention of Murfin's book several times.  To me, I could have included either Murfin or Sears, and chose Sears.  Despite Sears' obvious anti-McClellan bias, his work is newer, more accessible to the public, and Sears had more sources available to him than Murfin did.  It's high on my list of Antietam books, but it didn't make my top 5.  As I mentioned in another Civil War forum, I probably should have created a top 10! :)

As it is, I also included several "books for beginners"and "books for wargamers" in the blog entry as well.

Last edited on Tue Apr 21st, 2009 08:16 pm by bschulte

Posted: Tue Apr 21st, 2009 09:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
David White

Mana: 

I would put Sears at the top but I would have Murfin ranked as a more important Antietam work than either the Gallagher essays or the field guide.

Posted: Tue Apr 21st, 2009 10:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
bschulte
Siege of Petersburg Fan

Mana: 

David White wrote: I would put Sears at the top but I would have Murfin ranked as a more important Antietam work than either the Gallagher essays or the field guide.
David,

And I wouldn't argue that choice at all.  In fact, Murfin would have absolutely been in my Top 10 for sure.

Current time is 07:52 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3311 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 29 queries executed.