Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > The Lounge > Idle Chit-Chat > Why some states are failing so badly

Why some states are failing so badly - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed May 20th, 2009 04:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
David White

Mana: 

Good succinct explanation from the WSJ.  I have to say Texas is filling up with transplants lately and it's not just because the job market is better here.  All I can say is howdy and welcome to Texas but don't be getting any ideas about adding a state income tax here, that's one of the reasons we left the old world in the first place.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124260067214828295.html

Posted: Wed May 20th, 2009 08:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

I remember reading somewhere that during this past year the number of people leaving California actually outnumbered the number of those coming into the state. Daily I'm waiting for that state to implode.

And that short blurb on New Jersey is so true.

Posted: Wed May 20th, 2009 11:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Henry

Mana: 

Managing the available resources that any given state has seems to be beyond the ability of some. I can't see any better financial picture for the states as a whole as the population ages and those "transplants" without a long-term commitment to this place become dominant in the demographics.
The Dow closed at 8,422.04 today for a Dollar valuation of -52.81 resulting in a market percentage decline of -0.62. The Euro traded at 1.36900 USD today, continuing to gain strength.

Posted: Thu May 21st, 2009 12:47 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
ole

Mana: 

The cows are coming home to roost. Rather than discuss which states have spent themselves into a hole, I'd like to hear about those who have so managed their budgets so they're still solvent.

Color me red in a blue state going bust. A 50 percent state income tax increase to stay solvent. Now, we all know where the money is going: friends and relatives of those in power. It's getting so people are happy that only half the money is wasted. Time to move to Texas.

Ole

Edit: Guess I'd better get there before it fills up with Californians.

Last edited on Thu May 21st, 2009 12:50 am by ole

Posted: Thu May 21st, 2009 07:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
David White

Mana: 

And Illinois Ole, I'm seeing a lot of those two plates down here lately.

We in Texas give more than we get from the Feds and yet our state taxes are among the lowest.  The infrastructure is as good as anywhere and the schools are just about as bad as anywhere too.  If the people are productive, government financing will take care of itself.  If you impede the people's productivity they leave and the state government fails.  It's a pretty simple tenet.

Last edited on Thu May 21st, 2009 07:04 pm by David White

Posted: Thu May 21st, 2009 11:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

here in Oklahoma our property values have actually increased over the last year. we went through the oil bust in the early 80's...so our banking laws were already in place re: predatory lending practices, ARMs, etc. As a result of being prepared our state banks have so far needed little or no bailout money. That is not to say all is rosey and no jobs have been lost...but compared to the national average we are doing quite well.....in fact we were recently listed as one of the most recession proof economies in the nation..according to a national study whose source escapes me at the moment..:-)

Posted: Sat May 23rd, 2009 06:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Mr Hess53

Mana: 

I'll probably be leaving Connecticut for NC in another year.
I've had it
For such a small state, we are nearly 6 BILLION in the hole over the next 3 years.:X
Half the people here are on the Govt. dole anyhow.
like an idiot, I work to support them and our crooked politicians:shock:

Last edited on Sat May 23rd, 2009 06:26 pm by Mr Hess53

Posted: Sat May 23rd, 2009 08:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

I took the Current Affairs forums off the board for a reason which I explained in a previous post. That problem has not been resolved. Please consider current political affairs off-topic until further notice. Thank you.

Posted: Mon May 25th, 2009 04:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

I thought we were discussing state economic policies...)(_

Posted: Tue May 26th, 2009 03:46 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
David White

Mana: 

Geez Javal:

The description of this particular forum is:

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

So that's not true? We've had topics on all sorts of subjects throughout the history of this board and now current events joins abortion as off limits? What if GM declares bankruptcy this week, that's huge! We can't discuss it because a few people don't want to see an e-mail that the topic is being discussed? What if an equal number of people complain about battlefield ghost topics because they don't believe in the supernatural, will that topic be banned too?

If people don't want to read about a topic just ignore it! Deleting trash from ones e-mail is a daily occurence for all, complaining about it is like complaining about getting credit card solitications in your postal mail everyday.

I'm not interested in walking on eggshells as to whether a topic can be discussed or not on these boards. As long as people are respectful to each other while posting, what is the harm in speaking on any topic?

Posted: Tue May 26th, 2009 04:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

First of all the problem is RSS feeds, not e-mails. If it were e-mails, they could control which topics they get notification mails for. They can't do that with RSS feeds (as far as I know). There's several problems:

1) It isn't an occasional Current Affairs topic posted vs. a majority of Civil War posts. There's weeks where CA posts outnumber Civil War posts 75%-25%. That isn't what many members signed up for.

2) Frankly, I haven't seen all that much of a quest for honest back-and-forth in the CA topics. What we're seeing is statements.

3) What it boils down to is I'm the one who has to spend my time not only moderating it, but answering e-mails from people not happy with it. It's great to say "that shouldn't bother them", but my job is to consider everyone's opinion when possible. Remember, I'm the one that created the CA afairs topics - no one asked me to, so I doubt my goal is to make people walk on egg shells.

I'll put it up to the membership of the board as a whole later today through a poll. If the majority want a Current Affairs topic(s), I'll return it. But if I see this is becoming more of a political board than a Civil War board, I'll do what I have to do.

Posted: Tue May 26th, 2009 09:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
19bama46

Mana: 

javal1 wrote: First of all the problem is RSS feeds, not e-mails. If it were e-mails, they could control which topics they get notification mails for. They can't do that with RSS feeds (as far as I know). There's several problems:

1) It isn't an occasional Current Affairs topic posted vs. a majority of Civil War posts. There's weeks where CA posts outnumber Civil War posts 75%-25%. That isn't what many members signed up for.

2) Frankly, I haven't seen all that much of a quest for honest back-and-forth in the CA topics. What we're seeing is statements.

3) What it boils down to is I'm the one who has to spend my time not only moderating it, but answering e-mails from people not happy with it. It's great to say "that shouldn't bother them", but my job is to consider everyone's opinion when possible. Remember, I'm the one that created the CA afairs topics - no one asked me to, so I doubt my goal is to make people walk on egg shells.

I'll put it up to the membership of the board as a whole later today through a poll. If the majority want a Current Affairs topic(s), I'll return it. But if I see this is becoming more of a political board than a Civil War board, I'll do what I have to do.

Javal,

I am not trying to be difficult and readily admit that I know almost Exactly NOTHING about RSS feeds except, I think you can read stuff on them... But, to read your post, it seems you are saying that many members signed up not to discuss the ACW, but rather to read what others are saying about it, while offering no input... and complaining if the posts are not germane to the war, so they get entertained in the manner they wish...That kind of seems one sided if it is the case..

Am I missing something here

Ed

Posted: Wed May 27th, 2009 12:14 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
ole

Mana: 

Do what you gotta do, Javal, to keep your board growing. I hope that you can find a way to keep the chaff out of the ACW feeds.

With Bama, I know nothing of these things, but I do understand that those who signed on and get chaff might be irritated. So. Get back to work!

Ole;)

Current time is 09:15 pm
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > The Lounge > Idle Chit-Chat > Why some states are failing so badly

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1852 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 27 queries executed.