Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Slouch Hats - Equipment & Authenticity Questions - Reenacting and Living History - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon May 25th, 2009 12:51 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
barrydancer

Mana: 

I'll be doing Gettysburg this year, portraying 1st Lt. Thomas Goree of Longstreet's staff.  Never done living history before, and am borrowing a uniform.  (Don't want to invest in the full get up without seeing if I'm agreeable to the work. :))  I need to get a slouch hat, but I don't know much about them.  Prices seem to fluctuate greatly at the sutler's sites online.  Anyone have an idea of what would be a fair price for one?

Posted: Sat May 30th, 2009 06:17 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

I'm a big fan of Tim Bender and his hats. You get top quality and the product arrives when he says it will. I own one of his Hardee hats and in the past have owned (second hand) an officers Hardee. Paid $45 for the first and $100 for the second. Money very well spent.

http://www.benderhats.com/

Another source is Clearwater Hats. Outstanding product but I don't know what kind of service they have. Expect to pay in the $100 range.
http://www.clearwaterhats.com/

You'll pay about the same for either and their quality is comparable. Frankly their product is far superior to what you'll find at Sutler Row. Dirty Billy also offers an excellent product; though his quality Control can be kind of spotty from what I've heard and he is not an easy fella to deal w/. That said I've owned two of his hats, apparently factory seconds as I got them new for a third of the price listed on his website... but he doesn't make factory seconds. Regardless both hats were superb... both were stolen at different times.

Good luck

Posted: Sat May 30th, 2009 05:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
barrydancer

Mana: 

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking I might go with the the lite felt variety from Fall Creek Sutlery, with an added officer's cord. I don't think I'll need anything too high quality for my first outing. And my wife would likely kill me if I spent $100 bucks on a hat right now. :P

Posted: Sat May 30th, 2009 07:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
ole

Mana: 

If you can afford it, stay away from wool felt. That gets wet and it goes slouchy. Fur felt stands the weather better. Buying your hat is like buying your car, you do want a hat that will last more than a year. Check the price of your wife's last purse if you need ammo.

Ole

Posted: Sat May 30th, 2009 10:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
mike46142

Mana: 

:DYou can also try Ebay as well.  Sometimes you can find some real deals on there.:D

Posted: Thu Oct 25th, 2012 12:10 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Darryl

Mana: 

That's strange ole, I haven't had that trouble with felt. Of course its what you buy and pay for. I like to buy the Amish hats. even though are a bit pricey they crease nice and like very good. they fade extremely well.

Posted: Thu Oct 25th, 2012 12:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Darryl

Mana: 

It used to be when dealing with Dirty Billy, you were better off speaking to his wife. But that has been over 13 years ago. I don't know if they are even still married or what. I stopped re-enacting and living history about 8 years ago.

Posted: Thu Oct 25th, 2012 11:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

I still hear that Dirty Billy can be quite grumpy.....Have known 2 people in two years who bought hats in person, at his shop, and they are not happy after 2 years

I got one this past year from Clearwater and am VERY happy with it!!

In my opnion, no matter where you buy a hat, if you spend less than $100 you don't have anything.....

Current time is 08:26 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3403 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 26 queries executed.