Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Southern Storm: Sherman's March to the Sea - Civil War Books - Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Jun 1st, 2009 07:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
bschulte
Siege of Petersburg Fan

Mana: 

I’m going to try something different with my book reviews, because they usually do not produce any kind of discussion on Civil War forums, which is the opposite of what I want. Instead of posting the whole review, I’ll link to the blog entry at TOCWOC, give you my short and sweet thoughts, and hopefully some discussion will ensue.

Link: Review: Southern Storm: Sherman’s March to the Sea at TOCWOC – A Civil War Blog

I thought Andy Trudeau’s book was an interesting read, and I especially appreciated the number of maps included in the book. It did seem to drag on in places, mostly because I think he included too many first person accounts. I especially enjoyed Trudeau’s look at how Sherman planned the campaign and his extremely careful preparations. Sherman prepared so well, in fact, that his march to the Georgia capital at Milledgeville went almost entirely to plan. Trudeau highlights the contributions of Orlando Poe and the engineers under his command who helped Sherman’s army bridge the numerous streams and rivers they had to cross while marching to Savannah. I do not consider this to be any kind of definitive account, but it will certainly appeal to a wide range of readers, even those not specifically interested in the Civil War.

If you’ve read the book, I want to read what you think. If you disagree with me, I want to read what you think. If you have something to add about the book, by all means add it.

Posted: Tue Jun 2nd, 2009 12:22 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Old North State

Mana: 

Brett, I agree with what you've written regarding Trudeau's Southern Storm.  You commented about the division of Sherman's troops as they marched -- left and right wings -- and each wing also split.  Not only was this to provide room for men and wagons, but also to provide food.  The more men along one route, the farther they would have to forage to get enough.  Although Sherman said that he didn't have many mounted foragers, commanders on the Right Wing suggest otherwise.  This was likely because the territory through which the Right Wing marched was less agriculturally productive and the foragers had to range over greater distances.  Moreover, Sherman marched with the Left Wing, so most accounts, including Trudeau's, rely heavily on the experience of that wing and say very little about the experiences of the Right Wing.  Finally, the major task in connection with taking Savannah was the capture of Ft. McAllister.  Though Hazen's troops made this look easy, there is ample evidence that it was not easy, but it , containing supplies,was essential to establishing the connection to the Union ships off-shore and the connection to the rest of the world!

Posted: Tue Jun 2nd, 2009 12:25 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Old North State

Mana: 

Correction: "...but it was essential to establishing the connection to the Union ships off shore, which contained supplies, and the connection to the rest of the world!"

Posted: Tue Jun 2nd, 2009 12:49 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
ole

Mana: 

Quite agree Old North State. Until I picked up "Southern Storm," I figured the march was a romp through the park. Trudeau demonstrated that it wasn't all that simple. At anytime, this afternoon, tomorrow morning, early next week, Sherman was risking being hamstrung.

Yes, he was confident that he and his troops were up to the challenge, but he never did get overconfident. He worked his butt off on that March. Who was where and what were they telling him. Problem? How to fix it?

His wings and the divisions there didn't start here and go there on a rote plan. Sherman moved them around and changed their routes and adjusted, adjusted, adjusted.

Although there are those who will disagree, The March and the subsequent March through the Carolinas were masterful.

Ole

Posted: Tue Jun 2nd, 2009 12:52 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

I enjoyed the book and the maps, although I also used a road atlas to find the places mentioned in modern day Georgia in case the day ever comes that I can trace the march.

I enjoyed the descriptions of Kilpatrick's and Wheeler's cavalry actions. Wheeler is often criticized, but he certainly had a full plate trying to slow Sherman's progress across the state and also figure out where Sherman was really headed.

A battle I have found particularly sad and interesting is the Battle of Griswoldville. Trudeau goes into much detail on this battle. I also like the way he handled the atrocity at Ebenezer Creek with Jefferson Davis's brigade. I was not aware that almost a dress rehearsal to this event had occurred earlier in Sherman's march.

The skirmishes and maneuvers just outside Savannah were also interesting to me.

I like Trudeau as a writer and particularly liked this book. I do agree that some parts dragged a little, but soon another thing would happen and I would spark up again.

"Southern Storm" is a Civil War book that I will read again. In fact, I had just recently dug it out again to trace the trail of the Ninth Pennsylvania Cavalry during this march.

As an aside, BSchulte, I happened across one of your reviews at Amazon.com the other day. I can't recall which one it was. Was it "Vicksburg 1863" by Winston Groom? I'm glad you write reviews for Amazon because I do read them when I am considering buying a Civil War...or ANY book for that reason.

Posted: Tue Jun 2nd, 2009 01:17 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
bschulte
Siege of Petersburg Fan

Mana: 

CleburneFan,

I haven't written a review on Vicksburg 1863, but TOCWOC reviewer (and Amazon.com Top 500 reviewer) Jim Durney did. Thanks for the vote of confidence. When I staerted doing reviews back around 2003, one reason was because I couldn't find a site which could provide what I was looking for. Since blogs came into vogue, obviously there are quite a few more options today than there used to be!

All,

Excellent conversation! This is much better than the response I usually get when posting reviews. I think the length of my reviews sometimes makes people not want to respond (or maybe even read them, for that matter!), so I'll be continuing this format for the future.

Current time is 08:26 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3197 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 25 queries executed.