Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

more pics from Stones River - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Jun 6th, 2009 01:20 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

as promised here are the best of my pics from Stones River National Battlefield :

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z116/jackrox_2007/Stones%20River%20National%20Battlefield/?albumview=grid

Posted: Wed Jun 10th, 2009 11:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

Fine pics Cap'n...

Posted: Wed Jun 10th, 2009 11:34 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Thanks again for sharing these! I've never been to Stones River--what's the story behind the cannon lying among the rocks?

Pam

Posted: Thu Jun 11th, 2009 01:05 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

as I recall it's really just placed there as a representation of the guns lost in that part of the battlefield known as the slaughter pen.

Posted: Thu Jun 11th, 2009 01:08 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

unfortunately the battlefield is still under repairs and clean up from a recent tornado. I really couldn't shoot as much of the open fields as I usually do without getting huge stumps, pieces of split rail fence, and dumpsters in the frame...sigh...I guess that means I'll have to go back LOL!

Posted: Thu Jun 11th, 2009 01:49 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Thanks for posting these great pics.

Posted: Thu Jun 11th, 2009 03:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
19bama46

Mana: 

Captain Crow wrote: as I recall it's really just placed there as a representation of the guns lost in that part of the battlefield known as the slaughter pen.

It is the only display I have eveer seen like it. You just come up on it and for a few seconds you are confused not understanding what it is you are seeing, then it sets in and it is facinating as it does give a good graphic representation of what it must have been like there.

Another excellent graphic display is the walkway at the Corinth Interpretive Center. You are treated to the cast off implemts of war.. discarded canteens, broken pistols, rifles with shattered stocks, etc, etc each imbedded in the concrete...buttons, belts, haversacks some abandoned on the ground next to the walkway.. truly left by an army in retreat..

powerful images

Ed

Posted: Thu Jun 11th, 2009 07:51 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

I've always thought that the first day of Stones River is a very interesting battle.  It was definitely a close run thing to quote Wellington.  If Bragg had had Stephenson's division Chickamauga may have happened a year earlier.  Plus, I do find Rosecrans to be a rather interesting character.

Posted: Thu Jun 11th, 2009 10:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

19bama46 wrote: Captain Crow wrote: as I recall it's really just placed there as a representation of the guns lost in that part of the battlefield known as the slaughter pen.

It is the only display I have eveer seen like it. You just come up on it and for a few seconds you are confused not understanding what it is you are seeing, then it sets in and it is facinating as it does give a good graphic representation of what it must have been like there.

Another excellent graphic display is the walkway at the Corinth Interpretive Center. You are treated to the cast off implemts of war.. discarded canteens, broken pistols, rifles with shattered stocks, etc, etc each imbedded in the concrete...buttons, belts, haversacks some abandoned on the ground next to the walkway.. truly left by an army in retreat..

powerful images

Ed
I liked the Corinth visitors center quite a bit..especially the walkway

Posted: Thu Jun 11th, 2009 10:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

The Iron Duke wrote: I've always thought that the first day of Stones River is a very interesting battle.  It was definitely a close run thing to quote Wellington.  If Bragg had had Stephenson's division Chickamauga may have happened a year earlier.  Plus, I do find Rosecrans to be a rather interesting character.Old Rosey is indeed interesting...I wonder if he was bi-polar.

Current time is 07:18 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1671 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 29 queries executed.