Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Civil War Bloggers' Top 10 Gettysburg Books - Civil War Books - Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Jul 1st, 2009 03:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
bschulte
Siege of Petersburg Fan

Mana: 

Ten Civil War bloggers (including me) are listing their own top 10 Gettysburg books over the course of the three day anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg.  The idea is to take these lists and combine them into one comprehensive list which will serve as a nice "go to page" for those looking to get into the study of the Battle of Gettysburg.  Feel free to add your own Top 10 Gettysburg books in the comments section here and at the link provided!

The bloggers participating include:

Ethan Rafuse of Civil Warriors
Mark Grimsley of Civil Warriors
Eric Wittenberg of Rantings of a Civil War Historian
Drew Wagenhoffer of Civil War Books and Authors
John Hoptak of The 48th Pennsylvania Infantry/Civil War Musings
Harry Smeltzer of Bull Runnings
Craig Swain of To the Sound of the Guns
Nick Kurtz of Battlefield Wanderings
Chris Wehner of Blog 4 History
Brett Schulte of TOCWOC - A Civil War Blog

Last edited on Wed Jul 1st, 2009 03:57 pm by bschulte

Posted: Thu Jul 2nd, 2009 01:47 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

That's a great idea. Is there any chance the lists will all appear in one place, or do we have to go to each blog?

If I had to list one single book in a "list" of one, I would choose Edwin Coddington's "The Gettysburg Campaign: A Study in Command."

Posted: Thu Jul 2nd, 2009 01:57 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
bschulte
Siege of Petersburg Fan

Mana: 

CleburneFan wrote: That's a great idea. Is there any chance the lists will all appear in one place, or do we have to go to each blog?

If I had to list one single book in a "list" of one, I would choose Edwin Coddington's "The Gettysburg Campaign: A Study in Command."

You have to go to each blog, but I plan to release a "comprehensive list" at TOCWOC early next week which combines the lists into one master list with pics of each book and links to buy.

Posted: Thu Jul 2nd, 2009 01:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

I really appreciate that, not that I wouldn't have gone to the blogs separately over a period of time. I am really interested to know what books these bloggers prefer in oder to discover if there is some treasure about Gettysburg I haven't yet read. I am certain there will be some unmined treasure in those lists.

Posted: Fri Jul 3rd, 2009 12:51 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
bschulte
Siege of Petersburg Fan

Mana: 

CleburneFan,

I've already added several new books to my wish list as a result of this little event. There are definitely some books I've never read, and one or two I've never even heard of!

Posted: Fri Jul 3rd, 2009 01:07 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Yippee! I can't wait! I guess I'd better get busy and check out at least a few blogs now.

WOW! I just checked all the lists thanks to your links. I have many of the books, but certainly not all. Like you, I hadn't evern heard of some. Wittenberg has one that is out of print about Franklin County I MUST have because I lived in Franklin County twelve years. Guess it will be a real challenge to find that rare book.

My top choice (Coddington) is on some of the lists, but doesn't appear at all on others.

Anyway, I have a LOT of reading to do if I can work my way through the books on those lists I haven't read. It should be very interesting.

What about others here? Hopefully other CWI members will join in this discussion.

Last edited on Fri Jul 3rd, 2009 01:33 am by CleburneFan

Posted: Fri Jul 3rd, 2009 02:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
bschulte
Siege of Petersburg Fan

Mana: 

All,

Every bloggers' top 10 Gettysburg books list is posted now. Mine, which was the last, went up this morning:

Brett's Top 10 Gettysburg Books

Current time is 11:14 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3092 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 27 queries executed.