Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

I have a stupid question. - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Jul 22nd, 2009 02:10 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
tyrfan
Don't tread on me

Mana: 

I am working on making a calendar and I was going to include the exact dates ( Day month and year) that the Civil war began and ended.  I checked on line and came up with about a half dozen answers. Most just give Month and year.  I figured someone here could help me?

Posted: Wed Jul 22nd, 2009 03:09 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
barrydancer

Mana: 

I don't think you're going to find agreement on exactly when it started and ended. Do we count the day the first state seceded? The firing on Sumter? Did it end April 9, 1865, even though Johnston had yet to surrender?

I'd say pick whatever works for you. :)

Posted: Fri Jul 24th, 2009 12:27 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
tyrfan
Don't tread on me

Mana: 

ok finished!  Thanks for the help.  :-)

Link is below if you are interested.  My son helped with the facts as a homeschool project. 

http://www.lulu.com/content/lulustudio-calendar/andersonville-civil-war-prison-calendar-2010/7426069

Posted: Mon Sep 21st, 2009 02:34 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
TimHoffman01

Mana: 

Not a stupid question at all. If you don't mind me chiming in at this late date just for fun.

Most folks consider the war over with Lee's surrender, which I suppose goes to show the extreme focus people at the time had on the eastern theater.

The last official battle of the Civil War was Palmito Ranch (Texas) on May 11, 1865....ironically a CS victory.

The CSS Shenandoah, however, took several ships in the North Pacific on June 27, 1864 where they learned of Lee's surrender for the first time, as well as Jefferson Davis' proclamation for CS Forces to continue the fight. A little while later, in the arctic they took a number of more ships, pretty much destroying the US whaling fleet.

The Shenandoah only received official final word of the other surrenders in August (2nd), whereupon they sailed the rest of the way around the world (after removing their guns) to surrender to English authorities and lower their flag on November 6, 1865.

Communications just weren't as quick in those days.

People will probably be discussing when things really began/ended for another 150 years.

Current time is 11:02 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1511 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 26 queries executed.