Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > General Civil War Talk > Need help a little help concerning a GAR post

Need help a little help concerning a GAR post - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Sep 19th, 2009 11:12 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Before I get started let me say I wasn't sure exactly which category would be appropriate so I figured the general talk might be best. If I was mistaken then I appologize up front for that.

This is basically what the title says. I was in Colrain, Mass today for the Colrain Village Fair and in the museum there were a couple of plaques that had evidently belonged to the H.S. Greenleaf GAR Post and what I'm assuming was some kind of ladies auxillary. I'm a little curios about it but thus far all I've been able to learn is that H.S. Greenleaf was the 20th GAR post in Mass. Does anyone know anything about this or where I could find more info on the web?

Posted: Sun Sep 20th, 2009 04:07 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
kj3553
Born in the wrong century

Mana: 

I made a quick search on Google using GAR Post, Massachusetts and came up with this:

http://suvcw.org/garposts/ma.pdf

Does this help?

Posted: Sun Sep 20th, 2009 12:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Hellcat what exactly do you want to know?  Do you want to know about what is a GAR post and Women's Auxilary  or about that post itself.    I am a member of the Rosecrans Auxilary here in Southern California.  They use to be called Ladies  aid society I believe.   We act as a support for the Sons of Union Vets now that there are no more Grand Army of the Republic members around . 

Susan

Posted: Sun Sep 20th, 2009 07:10 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

About the post itself. I had looked up online to try and find out but all I could get was the same info KJ3553 provided but from a different site. That's how I knew the post number and the fact it was located in Colrain itself. But that's it. Nothing about if the post is still in use or if it became something else.  Looking things up I know the GAR became the Sons of Union Veterans, or was succeeded by it, so I view that as kinda still being the same and by becoming something else I mean like a VFW post or a American Legion post or something else entirely.

Considering the plaques were in a museum and not on a building anymore says to me that either GAR Post 20 either became something else or closed all together. And the fact that it was located in Colrain says. Of all the posts in Mass I can only find six in Franklin County, the General Sedgwick Post 17 in Orange, this one, the Armstrong Post 150 in Montague, the Manton E Taft Post 162 in Turners Falls, the Henry H. Johnson Post 171 in Northfield, and the Edwin E. Day Post 174 in Greenfield. Of these six only the building to the one in Orange is still in exsistence whether or not the post itself is.  But who all did each post serve. I mean was the Colrain post just for folks from Colrain and the Greenfield post just for folks from Greenfield or did folks from nearby towns attend the post nearest to them. Like if you were living in Gill you might attend the Northfield or the Turners post depending on where in Gill you were living.

And why H S Greenleaf? Who was that?

I do thank both of you for what you've done. It's better to know sometimes that folks are trying to help than to wonder if folks either don't know or are not interested.

Last edited on Sun Sep 20th, 2009 07:12 pm by Hellcat

Posted: Mon Sep 21st, 2009 12:29 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

52d Massachusetts, Col. H. S. Greenleaf.

Posted: Mon Sep 21st, 2009 12:33 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

http://www.suvcw.org/suvcamps/massachusetts.pdf

I would contact this group and ask them for information . The Sons do know somethings about the GAR post that were ended when the last men died. We have all the records here in California that were gathered as the Vets died. I helped organize some of them at the Patriot Hall in Los Angeles. I am sure Mass. has something like that too.
Good luck
Susan

Posted: Mon Sep 21st, 2009 02:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Hellcat,

Been looking at this since you posted. Tricky because there was a prominent Union Surgeon by the same name, but all his ties are to Minnesota.

I think the fellow you're looking for was a native of Shelbourne Falls, MA. He was elected Colonel of the 52nd Regiment Mass. Vols.

Go to the URL below. Then use the "Control-F" function and search for Greenleaf. You'll find multiple references to him.

http://www.ebooksread.com/authors-eng/j-f-john-farwell-moors/history-of-the-fifty-second-regiment-massachusetts-volunteers-sro/1-history-of-the-fifty-second-regiment-massachusetts-volunteers-sro.shtml

Posted: Tue Sep 29th, 2009 05:29 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
cklarson

Mana: 

I may be wrong on this, but my recollection from a few years ago is that the 20th MA Regt. was known as the "Harvard Regt.," so Greenleaf might make sense (as in J. Greenleaf Whittier). I was contacted by a member of the 20th MA reenactor group that periodically advertises in CW News. A biography of a Lowell who as a member had been published in the past few years, winning an award, etc.

CKL

Posted: Tue Sep 29th, 2009 06:48 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

As I said before the Post is named after 52d Massachusetts, Col. H. S. Greenleaf.Has nothing to do with John Greenleaf Whittier the poet.  

Integrity of parties and their presidential candidates: The "political issues of the day" : speech of Col. H.S. Greenleaf, delivered before the Hancock ... Rochester, N.Y., November 1st, 1880 by H. S Greenleaf (Unknown Binding - 1880)

The 20th Mass was the Harvard Regiment but this is the 52 Mass that Col Greenleaf belong to . 

The Lowell that was killed in the valley wasn't with the Harvard Brigade he was with the 2nd Mass Cav.  Charles Russell Lowell  Several books on him have been written including Nature of Sacrifice  by Carol Bundy and  Life and Letters of Charles Russell Lowell by Edward Waldo Emerson and Joan Waugh

Good book on the 52 is  Harvard Civil War by  Richard Millar

Posted: Tue Sep 29th, 2009 06:49 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Last edited on Tue Sep 29th, 2009 06:50 am by susansweet3

Posted: Fri Oct 2nd, 2009 05:31 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
cklarson

Mana: 

Suisan,

Thanks for the correction.

I do believe, however, that the MA Greenleafs are all related. My friend's cousin was one and she said he was related to Whittier.

CKL

Current time is 08:03 pm
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > General Civil War Talk > Need help a little help concerning a GAR post

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4049 seconds (23% database + 77% PHP). 25 queries executed.