Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Civil War road trip routes - Other Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Mar 6th, 2006 04:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
arooper

Mana: 

My friend and I recently got back from a four day Civil War tour-de-force mostly consisting of Stonewall Jackson sites. We hit Gburg first, then down to Lexington, then Ararat, VA (JEB Stuarts birthplace) then to Richmond, and finally Chancellorsville. It was very cool, has anybody else here ever seen the bed he died in? It's pretty wild, they claim the blanket folded on the end of the bed was the one they used to cover him.

Anyway, we're going on another one soon, and as much as I love the Eastern theater, I need to see some stuff in the Western area. I know I want to hit up Lookout Mountain/Missionary Ridge, anybody have any good Western theater routes?

You have chosen to ignore indy19th. click Here to view this post

Posted: Tue Mar 7th, 2006 01:54 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
susansweet2

Mana: 

I loved the movie the Great Locomotive Race when I was a kid,  so on my trip from California to the east coast one of the side trips was to follow the route of the General and the Texas.  Now I realize the Texas did the  route backwards chasing the General.  Since I was coming from Tennesse I did the route backwards.  I started in Chattanooga and headed south. Chatanooga is where Andrew and the other raiders that were hanged are buried in the National Cemetery . They are buried in a half circle around the monument to the General. Stoppetd at Ringold to see the train station near where the chase ended.  Now I did not have a good map of all the sites so missed some . 

Next from Tunnel Hill and saw the tunnel where both the raiders and Fuller raced though. 

Missed Dalton where telegram was sent I also missed all the town between Dalton and Kennesaw but those are listed on a map in the The General and the Texas.  Stopped at the Train Museum in Kennesaw  (Big Shanty.  There you will see all sorts of items related to the Chase.  Most of all the General is the main feature.  It is amazing to see that little engine.  They have Fuller's pocket watch (he was the conductor that wouldn't give up on catching his train.  They have pictures there of all the participants on both sides.  The Raiders were the first to be given the medal of honor.    I asked the guide in the museum where the station was that they took the train from.  He pointed out the door of the museum.  Said it use to be there til Sherman came though.   Next was Marietta where the boarding house stands that was the site where they orginally boarded the train. 

Last was in Atlanta at the Cylcorama where the Texas now resides.  The little engine that went backwards

A good book to get to learn about the events, men, and where the sites are is The General and the Texas by Stan Cohen and Jame Bogle.  I bought my copy at the Museum in Kennesaw .  It has pictures of the historical signs along the route.  Wish I had had it when I was doing the trip.  Hmm must go back and do it again!!!

Susan

Posted: Tue Mar 7th, 2006 02:18 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
simon

Mana: 

There are many great Civil War sights in the Chattanooga area.  Although, I would have to say that I have always been disapointed with Lookout Mt. Missionary Ridge area.  As Ogden, the head of the National Park says only about 10 percent of the Battle there is conserved.  One great thing is that you can get a great birds-eye view, that unlike the now demolished Gettysburg tower, was avalible to the Generals of 1863. 

Where you go next is up to your intrest, but Chickamauga is a must.  A great tour guide for both sites is the tour book written by Steven Woodworth.  From there you can either go north and see many of the Nashville related sites, or South to the Atlanta Campaign/ Great Locamotive chase sites.

A base in Chattanooga is great because both areas are within about a two hour driving radius.

You have chosen to ignore indy19th. click Here to view this post

Posted: Wed Mar 8th, 2006 04:28 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
susansweet2

Mana: 

Indy yes I meant to say I was doing the route backwards as I was coming from the north.  Of course the Texas was headed north , tender first .  chasing after the General. 

Thanks for helping clear up what  I said . 

Susan

Current time is 09:35 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3074 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 29 queries executed.