Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Percussion cap safety - Equipment & Authenticity Questions - Reenacting and Living History - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Dec 11th, 2009 10:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
rlf59

Mana: 

As ordnance guru of the 9th PA Reserves, Co. A, I have been directed by the Company Commander to check the web to see if anyone has good information concerning the relative safety and reliability of CCI rifle caps, Dynamite-Nobel winged and wingless caps and any other that are generally available on the market.  In the past, we used Navy Arms caps and had few problems, but, as you know, they are no longer being manufactured and we are looking for a substitute that is safe and reliable.  We are leaning toward the CCI caps, but the wingless D-N caps are less expensive.  We have little practical experience with the wingless caps and the CO is not willing to permit their use at all unless he can get some reliable documentation on their safety.  He feels they may have a problem with sticking on the nipple and wants to see if someone has any experience with this problem  If you can help us out, please post your answer here or contact me at irfark@earthlink.net.  Thank you in advance for your help.

R. Fark, 9th PA Reserves, Co. A, Ordnance

Posted: Wed Dec 16th, 2009 06:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

The wingless caps... suck. I average probably almost 20% FTF w/ them. They aren't as easy to place on the nipple and grabbing just one out of a cap pouch is difficult for big fingers.

Go swiss.

Posted: Tue Sep 7th, 2010 04:06 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
CameronsHighlander

Mana: 

As I know it only 5 and 6 prong/wing caps are banned due to fragmentation which can cause injury. Although a few years ago due to an embargo the 5 prongs were allowed.

Posted: Tue May 24th, 2011 05:49 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
bhh

Mana: 

I have had some Navy that were just as bad fraging...to coin a word. We Texans do that (President Bush) but the 4 wing which I have used (Swiss or German made) were great and easy to remove. Only problem after a big re-enactment like a national event where we were in action for a long time, most all would stick to the nip and had to be taken off with a knife. Part of the reason those weapons were called "fouling piece".

Current time is 03:59 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3328 seconds (14% database + 86% PHP). 26 queries executed.