Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Effects of Civil War on today's society - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Feb 23rd, 2010 02:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
En2o

Mana: 

Hi guys !
I'm from Germany and decided to write an essay about the influences of Civil War on modern society ! This grade will be about 5% of my school leaving certificate and besides my other research on this topic i thought it would be a good idea to ask some civil war interested parties.

It would be great if you could share your oppinions about this issue with me in reference to today's southern and northern mentalities.
Please let me know how you think Civil War is still present in the minds of Americans :)

Last edited on Mon Mar 22nd, 2010 03:03 pm by En2o

Posted: Sun Mar 21st, 2010 09:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
rangerrebew

Mana: 

Many people in the south still refer to the Civil War as the war of northern aggression. That says much in itself. The American Flag didn't fly over Vicksburg for 80 years after it fell. The 14th Amendment was really punitive toward the south and was much resented. I really think, though, it was the democratic party that never got over it and has resented it ever since. They were the party that seceded over the issue of slavery, kept segregation alive in the south, and, if you look today remain very bitter toward the American people as whole. I here make reference to the Health Care bill which 65-70% of Americans disapprove of but which they are going to push down our throats anyway.

Posted: Sun Mar 21st, 2010 09:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Current politics - fact or fiction - are not allowed on this board. If you want to argue regarding health care, you need to go to a political forum.

Current time is 02:34 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1423 seconds (14% database + 86% PHP). 25 queries executed.