Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > Civil War News/ Press Releases > The Confederate Alamo: Bloodbath at Petersburg's fort Gregg on April 2, 1865

The Confederate Alamo: Bloodbath at Petersburg's fort Gregg on April 2, 1865 - Civil War News/ Press Releases - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed May 5th, 2010 05:03 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
ShenValley1

Mana: 

Attached is a news release about a new book called The Confederate Alamo by John Fox. This 352 page hard back book relates the dramatic lead up to and bloody Battle of Fort Gregg which brought the Petersburg Campaign to a close. This is the first book length study about the 334 Confederates who were given a suicide mission against 4,400 Union soldiers to try and buy enough time for General Lee to get reinforcements and then pull his army out of Petersburg.

Attachment: Alamo News Release.pdf (Downloaded 8 times)

Posted: Wed May 12th, 2010 01:38 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

That looks good...I may have to throw it on the "to read" pile when it comes out.

Posted: Mon May 24th, 2010 01:52 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
bczygan

Mana: 

I have this book and have read it. A great account of a desperate battle. My Great Grandfather, Dr. George Washington Richards, was the Surgeon on duty at the Ft. all the preceding winter and was present during the battle. Here's a photo of him.

Bill Czygan

Attachment: Dr. George Richards.jpg (Downloaded 38 times)

Posted: Wed May 26th, 2010 01:44 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

I love reading books about battles my GGG's fought in....both from GA. One in the the 2nd Ga cavalry regiment, and the other with the Macon light artillery(which was also at Petersburg)...then there are those folks who rode with Quantrill....well that settles it...one more book on the pile.

Posted: Sun Sep 19th, 2010 08:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
pchill

Mana: 

Hi I googled my great great great grandfather Dr. George Washingtonn Richards and this is the first link. Its cool to see that we're related!

Posted: Thu Sep 23rd, 2010 01:00 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
ShenValley1

Mana: 

In fact Dr. George Richards is credited with referring to the Battle of Fort Gregg as another "Alamo." Richards survived the battle and imprisonment at Johnson Island, Ohio and later wrote about Fort Gregg: " In all, there were from two hundred and fifty to three hundred men defending the fort on the morning that was to give to history and America its second Alamo." He was correct because the odds at the 1836 Battle of the Alamo at San Antonio were 1 against 10. The odds at Fort Gregg on April 2, 1865 were 1 Confederate against 13 Federals. Thus the name of the recent book on this battle is The Confederate Alamo: Bloodbath at Petersburg's Fort Gregg on April 2, 1865. This is a remarkable story which is available at Amazon.

Current time is 07:42 pm
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > Civil War News/ Press Releases > The Confederate Alamo: Bloodbath at Petersburg's fort Gregg on April 2, 1865

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3396 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 26 queries executed.