Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Journals/mags read by CW buffs? - Civil War News/ Press Releases - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed May 19th, 2010 06:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
jes

Mana: 

Hi everyone. I just registered to ask you all a question about the types of journals/magazines that those who are interested in the CW read. I'm interested primarily in print journals, but I know a lot of good scholarship happens online these days as well.

I ask because I recently took a course about CW history, and wrote an article that, with some tweaking, I'd like to submit for publication. As an academic, I'd like to try having it published by a scholarly/peer-reviewed publication, but this is not my area of expertise! I'm hoping some of you might be able to help guide me toward the right sort of publications and/or give me some advice.

I know that there are other ways of finding out this information (online searching, library research), and I'm undertaking those, as well, but again, anecdotal info is sometimes the most helpful.

My research is centered on newspaper reporting during the CW. It's straight history, with some archival research, and not much theory--intentionally!

Any recommendations? And, of course, if you tend to find CW-related research outside of specifically CW journals, please let me know. That might be a better angle for me to pursue.

I would appreciate any wisdom you can share.

best

Jennifer

Posted: Wed May 19th, 2010 06:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
barrydancer

Mana: 

Well, there's the big guns, American Historical Review, and the Journal of American History. The Journal of Civil War History may be more to your needs. Journal of Southern History, and various state history journals.

Too bad I'm no longer with the Columbia Journal of American Studies, and it no longer exists, or I'd tell you send your article my way.

Posted: Thu May 20th, 2010 02:14 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Mark

Mana: 

I'm kinda partial to "War and Society" since that is where I got my first article published. In any case I would make an order of merit list with several so if your first choice doesn't pan out you have some backups. Good luck and remember that for every article you submit you'll probably get a couple of rejections... I've got a wall of rejection letters! Please let everyone know where and when it gets published. Cheers!

Mark

Posted: Sun Jun 27th, 2010 09:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
jes

Mana: 

Thank you to you both (sorry for the delay!) for your replies.  Every time I sit down and try to puzzle this out, something else comes up. You know how it goes, I'm sure. Will you indulge me again?  Let me run this by you for your opinion: my article centers on 2 war correspondents (working in the same city on the East Coast) who were both significant, but in very different ways. I look at how they got their stories, what they did with them once they had them, their relationships to the Army and her generals, etc.  I enjoyed researching and writing it a lot, but I have no idea if it has wider appeal.  Based on my 1-sentence blurb, can you offer any direction?

thanks

Jennifer

Current time is 08:06 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3926 seconds (31% database + 69% PHP). 26 queries executed.