Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > General Civil War Talk > Put You on the Spot: What's Your Favorite "Part" of the Civil War?

Put You on the Spot: What's Your Favorite "Part" of the Civil War? - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Sep 30th, 2010 11:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

When pressed, what would you say is your favorite "part" of the Civil War? That could be a person, battle, politics, soldier, civilian, twist, what-if, etc. The trick is, you can only pick ONE! What is your "favoritest," as my son says? And why?

Posted: Thu Sep 30th, 2010 11:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Old Blu

Mana: 

pamc153PA wrote: When pressed, what would you say is your favorite "part" of the Civil War? That could be a person, battle, politics, soldier, civilian, twist, what-if, etc. The trick is, you can only pick ONE! What is your "favoritest," as my son says? And why?
Appomattox.

Posted: Fri Oct 1st, 2010 03:24 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

I don't really know, and I was just walking around thinking about it for a few minutes after seeing the question. I guess I'd really have to say that to me there's a certain kind of mystique to the war, that there's always something new about it to fascinate me.

I'm sure someone's gonna tell me that's not a good answer, but the more I think about it the less I can pick one particular person, one particular battle, one particular event, one particular unit, basically anything particular.

Last edited on Fri Oct 1st, 2010 03:26 am by Hellcat

Posted: Fri Oct 1st, 2010 12:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

My favorite "part" is the soldier's view. While so many authors, historians, etc. concentrate on the overall strategy and tactics, I find the view of the individual Private or Corporal much more fascinating.

When your view of the war consists of what is 100 ft. in front of you and the guys to your left and right, it gives the war a different perspective.

Posted: Fri Oct 1st, 2010 03:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
j harold 587

Mana: 

I must agree with joval the observations of the individual of what was going on in their personal sphere of influence. The writers I enjoy most use personal writings and remberences to give color to the campaign or action they are writing about. All grand strategies still rely on the boots on the ground.   

Posted: Fri Oct 1st, 2010 04:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
TimK

Mana: 

I probably shouldn't post, because my answer sounds like a cop out. Sorry Pam. But like Hellcat, it is impossible for me to pick out a single "favorite part". If there were a gun placed at my head to pick just one, I guess I would get my brains blown out.

What has always got to me is the incredible amount of ironies and the re-actions for every action. The split second decisions that resulted in an incredible amount of violent death, not to mention that these split second decisions irreversibly changed the future (and therefore the history) of the world forever. And all this usually happened in the middle of Nowhere, Tennessee or Virginia or Pennsylvania. And then there was a time out to bury the dead, and then do it again somewhere else in a few days, weeks, or months, with the same iron willed convictions.

My words aren't really doing my thoughts justice, but I guess the whole thing is my favorite part.

Posted: Fri Oct 1st, 2010 04:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Similar to Doc J's responce - human interest stories, whether about the individual soldiers, loved ones back home or the politicians.

Doc C

Posted: Sat Oct 2nd, 2010 01:49 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
HankC

Mana: 

My favorite is the two sides of the coin: why/why not?

For example: why Lincoln, why not Seward?
why Gettysburg, why not Emmittsburg?
why Pickett, why not Anderson?
etc...

HankC

Posted: Sat Oct 2nd, 2010 04:27 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
ole

Mana: 

Extremely difficult question in that this week's favorite will likely not be last week's. Nor next week's. My favorite invariably involves a thoughtful post that draws interest much like throwing a ball to a bunch of dogs.

Basically, I'm a battle-book person, but I'll chase that ball as hard and as fast as I can.

Posted: Sun Oct 3rd, 2010 05:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
9Bama

Mana: 

could not begin to answer this one.. anything CS I suppose...

And yet that is inaccurate as my intrests would be CS soliders, not necessarily government of civilian leadership

Last edited on Sun Oct 3rd, 2010 05:49 pm by 9Bama

Posted: Tue Oct 5th, 2010 12:30 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

"My favorite "part" is the soldier's view. While so many authors, historians, etc. concentrate on the overall strategy and tactics, I find the view of the individual Private or Corporal much more fascinating.

When your view of the war consists of what is 100 ft. in front of you and the guys to your left and right, it gives the war a different perspective."

Javal just said it in spades.

You have chosen to ignore scamp. click Here to view this post

Posted: Thu Oct 14th, 2010 06:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

"Scamp" has been banned due to abuse of the board (in an incident seperate from this thread). Ole and Bama, I went ahead and deleted your responses to him since they wouldn't make sense without the post you were responding to. Thanks guys.

Posted: Sat Oct 16th, 2010 12:50 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
johnwads1

Mana: 

This is a tough question to answer  there is just too much of interest to choose one thing. We just came back from Gettysburg and took the 2 hour horse trail tour.  fantastic. to see parts of the battlefield as a general would have on horseback.  Somethings could be better  but it was great.  One thing i didnt like about Gettysburg is the emphasis on the ghost tours.. which were disappointing at best..  takes away from the Gettysburg experience. 

Posted: Mon Oct 18th, 2010 02:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
LiveVegan

Mana: 

I'm with you guys, its really hard to say what my "favorite" part is. I like to hear stories or read about those commanders or troops that accomplished great feats despite being under-manned or with the odds not being in their favor. The tenacious spirits that are in it to win. This gets my attention and my reading...if that makes any sense to anyone but me. :) [Insert Forrest] Hehe

Posted: Tue Oct 19th, 2010 02:18 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

My favorite part of the Civil War is cavalry. But that would be a bit of a distortion because I find so many facets of the war fascinating. It's really tough to pull out just one thing because cavalry simply can't be studied in isolation from the rest of the war.  

Posted: Sun Oct 24th, 2010 09:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
150thjourney

Mana: 

my favorite part is the appomattox campaign so all the killing would stop

Posted: Sun Oct 24th, 2010 09:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
150thjourney

Mana: 

after reading scamp i will now say my favorite part is the way people think lincoln was like stalin or hitler or pol pot,i woundnt censor those remarks-who cares if people want to believe all that-

Current time is 09:19 pmPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > General Civil War Talk > Put You on the Spot: What's Your Favorite "Part" of the Civil War?

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2237 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 33 queries executed.