Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > The Lounge > Other History > 10 Days Starts Tonight - Put reviews here

10 Days Starts Tonight - Put reviews here - Other History - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Apr 9th, 2006 01:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

History Channels "10 Days" series begins tonight. We hope most of you will watch and share your opinions on each episode here. For some reason, they're not running them in chronological order. Here the air times:

Antietam - April 9 - 9pm E./8pm C.
Massacre at Mystic - April 9 - 10pm E./9pm C.
Einstein's Letter - April 10 - 9pm E./8pm C.
Murder At the Fair - April 10 - 10pm E./9pm C.
When America Rocked - April 11 - 9pm E./8pm C.
Gold Rush - April 11 - 10pm E./9pm C.
Scope's Trial - April 12 - 9pm E./8pm C.
Homestead Strike - 10pm E./9pm C.
Freedom Summer - 9pm E./8pm C.
Shay's Rebellion - 10pm E./9pm C.

Looking forward to some reviews of each episode!

You have chosen to ignore indy19th. click Here to view this post

Posted: Fri Apr 14th, 2006 02:04 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
susansweet2

Mana: 

oops Indy I would have been one of the ones that thought it was a top ten.    I posted my list here a while ago.  Just what I thought would be important dates in American history but I think it dependents on how you look at events what is important. 

I haven't seen the shows as I am one of the last people in America not to have Cable or dish tv. 

Last edited on Fri Apr 14th, 2006 02:05 am by susansweet2

Posted: Fri Apr 14th, 2006 03:11 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Indy,

I don't think they were exactly random. Maybe not a "top ten" list, but somewhere in between. From History Channel:

In selecting the 10 days to be documented, The History Channel embarked on a multi-faceted discovery process, which began in September 2004, when the question “What are the influential events in American history?” was posted on the network’s website message board. After receiving hundreds of responses, the channel followed up with an internal poll of the A&E Television Networks staff. The network then convened an advisory panel of noted historians, each of whom specializes in different areas of American history.

Maday challenged them to think “outside the box.” Said Maday: “In an effort to avoid obvious and often-told events such as the signing of the Declaration of Independence and the bombing of Pearl Harbor, we asked our advisors to think broadly and creatively about American history and culture, to include events that reflect the diversity of current historical research and to weigh each event’s impact on our world today.”

After lively discussions over a day and a half, a list of 29 days grouped into 12 eras was generated. The historian advisory panel counseled against more recent events, such as 9/11, as they felt not enough time had passed to get the proper historical perspective. The list was next presented to a group of selected, highly creative, independent filmmakers who were asked to join the project and give The History Channel their top three choices of days. “In the end, we have 10 great filmmakers and 10 very intriguing days,” said Davids.

Posted: Fri Apr 14th, 2006 06:19 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
susansweet2

Mana: 

I have watched part of Scopes Trial, part of Freedom Summer and now watching Shays rebellion.  I know that footage was there for both those events.  Shays Rebellion on the other hand didnt have live cameras shooting the events.  But the cartoon character of the show is driving me crazy.  The part I just saw of Washington walking to his carriage made him look like he was staggering or limping away.  The people and the buildings were "flashing "   It was very distracting .  To switch between that and talking heads made me lose interest right away. 

What I saw of the other two was information I have known for a long time.    The reenactment of Darrow cross examing Bryan was well done. 

Looking forward to seeing what others say.

Posted: Fri Apr 14th, 2006 02:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Harry

Mana: 

The Scopes Trial was well done. Wish I could say the same for Shay's Rebellion.  I thought the use of animation cheapened the information. Looked to me like it was a "Japanimation" style--a style of animation that I have trouble understanding its purpose, but that's an artistic discussion. I would have preferred to see "live" reenactors than animated figures. I suppose the filmmaker for this episode really thought he had "something" in portraying these figures in animation. Too bad he didn't let the rest of the country and viewers in on the secret.  

You have chosen to ignore indy19th. click Here to view this post

Posted: Sat Apr 15th, 2006 07:03 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
susansweet2

Mana: 

Harry and Indy glad to know I wasn't the only one that had problem with the cartoon.

Just saw the end of the Gold Rush, didn't see enough to judge.  Now watching the Homestead Strike .  Interesting old pictures so far. 

Well I fell asleep again .  Didnt see much of the Homestead Strike either.  Something about these programs is putting me to sleep. 

Last edited on Sun Apr 16th, 2006 05:10 am by susansweet2

Posted: Mon Apr 17th, 2006 04:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
jeffand

Mana: 

I did not particularily care for the "Scope's Trial", but I do find it interesting that the country is still debating Evolution vs. Creationism.

Posted: Tue Apr 18th, 2006 11:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
susansweet2

Mana: 

Finally saw one of the series that I didn't fall asleep while watching,  funny thing it was the Antietam segment.    Did have a problem with the mixing of modern pictures made to look old with the old pictures.  At least I know enough to know the battle scenes were modern pictures.  Would hate to have others who didn't know that think those were real battle scenes.    Good information though.

Current time is 05:35 pm
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > The Lounge > Other History > 10 Days Starts Tonight - Put reviews here

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4511 seconds (27% database + 73% PHP). 28 queries executed.