Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Terrorism - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
You have chosen to ignore Natty. click Here to view this post

Posted: Thu Apr 7th, 2011 02:01 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Mark

Mana: 

Natty, that is applying a late 20th century term to the mid-nineteenth century and it is completely anachronistic. You must seek to understand people in the context of their times or not at all. For two years the Federal high command sought to coax the people of the south back into the Union. They were under the misguided impression that secessionism was only the product of a few influential politicians. When that didn't work, they began to target the industrial base of the south. The industrial base and emotional base of a society has (until VERY recent times) been seen as a legitimate military target during a total war (think of the Dresden and Tokyo bombings during WWII). So, I would not call it terrorism, I would call it what they did: Hard war.

Mark

Posted: Thu Apr 7th, 2011 06:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Mark

Mana: 

Natty, what I'm trying to say is that there was no offical policy that allowed for the deliberate targeting of civilians. Now, that being said, there was a policy of targeting civilian livelyhood and infastructure to make a point about the inability of the south to defend itself, but even this was a policy that evolved over four years. Were civilians murdered? Yes, a few, but that does not meet the criteria for state sponsored terrorism that you are implying with your question. That was the work of bad apples that was usually punished through the military justice system.

Mark

Posted: Thu Apr 7th, 2011 07:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

We get it. You hate Lincoln. Let's quit the "terrorism" bloviation since it's being used for no reason other than to start a flame war. You already have another "I hate Lincoln" thread going elsewhere - stick to that one. You want to call a US President a terrorist do it elsewhere.

Current time is 04:53 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1616 seconds (16% database + 84% PHP). 29 queries executed.