Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Interesting short documentary - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Apr 13th, 2011 12:33 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

Interesting short documentary re: battlefield preservation, photography and re-enactors.

http://www.time.com/time/video/player/0,32068,900357870001_2064736,00.html

Posted: Wed Apr 13th, 2011 12:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
j harold 587

Mana: 

Thanks for the post Captain. The concept that the re-enactors are all that is left is in many ways correct. The Domino's pizza at Franklin has been removed however it is a point well taken. I also feel that in the need to balance the national budget private financing will have to cover preservation and restoration costs that the NPS will not have funds for. So we will see more or higher fees for museaums, parking ect.

However Indiana state parks are self supporting, so they could be a start point for other parks. They charge a fee about $5.00 to use the park $3.00 for In. residents. If you are camping there you get a pass for the length of your stay. The NPS has a program where you buy a year pass that gets you into fee areas at no cost.  Perhaps more partnerships like the Gettysburg foundation will come. It is far from perfect, but membership includes admission to the museum, and they still encourage volunteer participation in many areas of preservation at that park.

Civil War sites are my pet goose, if we are going to balance the federal budget we (US) will all have to put more care into our personal goose.      

Posted: Thu Apr 14th, 2011 11:46 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

That's an excellent point. I enjoyed the photography emphasis-since that is my main hobby now-and as a preservationist I was also moved by the sense of loss I felt seeing that sacred ground polluted by "progress". Glad you enjoyed it.

Current time is 07:45 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1413 seconds (14% database + 86% PHP). 26 queries executed.