Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Civil War Baton Rouge - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Jul 1st, 2011 12:39 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Mark

Mana: 

Folks, I'm moving to Baton Rouge, LA in the next couple weeks. Of course as soon as the house is unpacked I intend on finding some Civil War sites to go see. Any suggestions on where to start? I know Vicksburg will be just up the road and I'm sure I'll find a long weekend to go visit there, but are there any good out of the way places that I need to go see?

Mark

Posted: Sun Jul 3rd, 2011 07:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
pender

Mana: 

Mark, One thing I found interesting in Baton Rouge. Is the grave site of General Henry W. Allen. If you find visting a grave yard, something you would like to do. I know here at home I have tried to find all the graves of confederate soldiers from my county. But any way according to my book of confederate Generals grave sites. He is buried in front of the old state capitol building under, what looks like a pretty big monument. With an inscription that reads:" He was the last Governor of Louisiana under the old regime." It appears he was wounded in 1862 in the battle of Baton Rouge crippling him for life. Lived in self exile in Mexico after the war. But then died in April 22, 1866 in Mexico City. Maybe that is a little help.

Pender

Posted: Mon Jul 4th, 2011 10:01 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Mark

Mana: 

Thanks Pender, I'll have to look for it. The old statehouse is on my list of things to see!

Mark

Current time is 09:02 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1391 seconds (17% database + 83% PHP). 26 queries executed.