Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

North Carolina at Gettysburg - Battle of Gettysburg - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Jul 29th, 2011 07:34 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
rebelnc1987
Transplanted Tar Heel

Mana: 

Hello all,

I was just wondering if anyone here has a particular interest in North Carolina's participation in the battle? And if so, what resources have you found about it? I have found a large amount of material concerning Pender's and Pettigrew's Divisions, but have found little about the Tar Heels in Rodes' Division.

So since this is a rather broad topic, let me narrow it, apart from the book question above, what is your favorite North Carolina unit and what did they do at Gettysburg?

Mine is Lane's and Daniel's Brigades- I have ancestors in both.

Day 1, Lane's brigade helped to hold the Confederate position on McPherson's ridge and had minor participation driving the Union from Seminary Ridge. Daniel's brigade helped support Iverson's Tar Heels near Shead's woods and helped to drive the PA Bucktail brigade off McPherson's Ridge.

Day 2- Daniel's brigade assault's Culp's Hill along with Johnson's Division.

Day 3- Lane's brigade participates in the Pickett-Pettigrew-Trimble Charge.

Daniel's brigade survives the Union onslaught early on the 3rd and supports what is left of Johnson's defensive line. 53rd NC on the extreme left of the brigade- Company I on the total flank.

So what other Tar Heel topics are you all into?

Posted: Fri Jul 29th, 2011 09:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Well, according to The Civil War Handbook, by William H. Price, it was the 26th NC that suffered the heaviest losses of the battle. Seven hundred eight men missing wounded or dead out of a eight hundred who entered the battle. If I did the math right that's about an 89% casualty rate.

Me though, Roanoke Island grabs my attention. The island was vital to both sides really, whoever held it could better control Albemarle and Pamlico sounds. Not to mention the possibility of using the Dismal Swamp Canal or at least control over it. I'm alos interested in the effect of the war on the states lighthouses.

Posted: Sat Jul 30th, 2011 01:46 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
pender

Mana: 

Rebelnc1987, I am very intersted in all N.C. regiment's. Being from the Old North State, and all my ancestor's were in N.C. confederate regiment's. At the battle of Gettysburg Rodes actually had the most N.C. regiment's. There were 33 Infantry regiment's from N.C. at Gettysburg. Rodes had 13 regiment's. Pender had 10 regiment's. Heth had 5 regiment's. Early had 3. There were 4 cavalry regiment's from N.C., the 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th. Also 4 Artillery, 3 of them in the 1st Corp. 1st Battery A Mclaw's Div. Branch and Rowan Hood's Div. Charlotte belonged to Pender's. I was very impressed with the N.C. monument at Gettysburg to these fine men. It was the high light of my Gettysburg Battlefield trip, to look past that monument into that long field. It was one of those moment's when the hair stand's up on the back of your neck. But any how here is a list of all the N.C. Infantry regiment's that participated in the Battle of Gettysburg. 1st, 2nd battalion, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 16th, 18th, 20th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd, 26th, 28th, 30th, 32nd, 33rd, 34th, 37th, 38th, 43rd, 45th, 47th, 52nd, 53rd, 55th, 57th North Carolina. As for your question on your favorite N.C. regiment. To see mine, would suggest you look up the thread on A.P. Hill's Light Division. I think we could have a serious discussion on Lane's Brigade in that thread.

Pender

Last edited on Sat Jul 30th, 2011 01:49 pm by pender

Posted: Sat Jul 30th, 2011 03:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Old Blu

Mana: 

I have a book recently sent to me as a gift that tells all about the North Carolina soldiers and what they did under a political General Alfred Iverson.  What a mess and this author has all the facts and figures concerning NC loses at Gettysburg.

The rashness of That Hour- Robert J. Wynstra

I recommend this book on NC.

Last edited on Sat Jul 30th, 2011 03:49 pm by Old Blu

Posted: Sun Jul 31st, 2011 02:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
rebelnc1987
Transplanted Tar Heel

Mana: 

Sounds good Pender,

I will see you in the A P Hill thread! I look forward to discussing The Light Division's Tar Heels!

Posted: Sun Jul 31st, 2011 10:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
pender

Mana: 

Old Blu wrote: I have a book recently sent to me as a gift that tells all about the North Carolina soldiers and what they did under a political General Alfred Iverson.  What a mess and this author has all the facts and figures concerning NC loses at Gettysburg.

The rashness of That Hour- Robert J. Wynstra

I recommend this book on NC.

Old Blu, Thank's for the head's up. I looked up the book on Amazon, look's real interesting. I have put it on my list. Had not heard of it. THANK'S

Pender

Posted: Wed Aug 3rd, 2011 10:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Seriously

Mana: 

Bobby seemed to lose it all when he lost Thomas Jonathon Jackson. He lost the ability to move and strike quickly. PA was an act of desperation.

Current time is 05:38 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3342 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 27 queries executed.