Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Fencing on battlefields - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Nov 4th, 2011 01:02 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Cleburne

Mana: 

I was looking at the famous photograph of the confederate dead on the Hagerstown turnpike on the Antietam battlefield, when I noticed the fence was of the post and rail type. It struck me how unfortunate it would be to conduct a charge through one of those fences. It is not easily gotten over or torn down.  Much easier to get through the snake fencing.  So, now I am wondering how many battles hinged on the type of fencing that the different units had to get over.  Were battles lost and won due to fencing?  Any thoughts on this?

Posted: Fri Nov 4th, 2011 02:11 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Mark

Mana: 

I think Battlefield Detectives did a program on the Emittsburg Road fence and the failure of Pickett's Charge. They argued that the majority of Confederates making it to that point stayed their and didn't take part in the last 200m of the charge. In my opinion they went way overboard in their conclusion. It's pretty easy to get over, under or through a fence when you are being shot at. However, it would most certainly break up the momentum of a charge and I'll bet those fence rails look mighty inviting when you're under heavy fire.

Mark

Posted: Fri Nov 4th, 2011 02:33 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Mark, I agree!!....I saw that Battlefield Detectives and concluded that I wasted an hour of life watching such shody "detective" work.....IF the fence held them up, then history would have recorded it as a tactical hinderance and contributer to the "failure" of the charge....Just my opinion....

Posted: Fri Nov 4th, 2011 02:58 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Doc Ce

Mana: 

Cleburne

That picture of confederate dead on the side of Hagerstown Pike is of members of the Louisiana Brigade which my ancestor was a member, 9th La. Many of these individuals laying there were killed by cannister which was fired by cannon on the hill further up the pike.

Doc C

Posted: Fri Nov 4th, 2011 04:57 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Unsolved History said the same thing, but they pointed out the time it took to get over fence and the number of folks who could get over at one time.

Posted: Fri Nov 4th, 2011 02:12 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Cleburne

Mana: 

thanks for the info. I assume your ancestor survived Antietam.

Cleburne

Posted: Fri Nov 4th, 2011 02:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Old North State

Mana: 

Colonel Timothy O'Meara of the 90th Illinois was mortally wounded at a corral fence that Loomis' Brigade had to cross when charging toward the tunnel and under fire from Cleburne's and Hardee's troops at the north end of Missionary Ridge.  The rail fence was staked and ridered on top and a history of the regiment said it was too strong to knock down, thus they had to climb over it.  This fence, built to hold in livestock, slowed the charge and several of the troops were wounded and or killed while trying to get over it.  Canon fire hitting the fence splintered some of the wood, giving a painful hernia to at least one member of Colonel O'Meara's regiment.

Posted: Fri Nov 4th, 2011 07:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
csamillerp

Mana: 

considering that at least 90% of the rounds shot from rifled muskets of the time overshot their intended target i would really hate to have to climb over a fence and expose myself to that 90% of over shot rounds.

Posted: Fri Nov 4th, 2011 08:04 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Doc Ce

Mana: 

Cleburne

Luckily he survived the war, fought in all the battles which the 9th La fought and surrendered at Appomatox. Question on a Gettysburg Licensed Battlefield Guide test one year was what 2 types of fences were at Gettysburg.

Doc

Posted: Fri Nov 4th, 2011 08:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Old North State

Mana: 

It's the other 10% that will get you.

Current time is 04:32 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1727 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 25 queries executed.