Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Deadliest single hour of the war - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Nov 11th, 2011 10:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
csamillerp

Mana: 

What was the deadliest/bloodiest single hour during the war? Over the years I have heard the Cornfield at Antietam, corinth and Pickett's Charge.... but what was it? From what i can gather it would be pickett's charge, nearly 10,000 casualties in 50 mins of fighting.

Posted: Sat Nov 12th, 2011 01:02 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

How many of that 10,000 were dead? Casualties, as you undoubtedly know, aren't just the dead but also include the wounded. And may also include POWs. The deadliest hour woud be in terms of just the dead while the bloodiest hour would be the dead and wounded. So it's possible for the Cornfield at Antietam to be the deadliest but Picket's Charge to be the bloodiest.

Posted: Sat Nov 12th, 2011 12:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Mark

Mana: 

I think its hard to tell, but I suspect that Cold Harbor and Franklin have to be contenders.

Mark

Posted: Sun Nov 13th, 2011 04:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
jojotater

Mana: 

Probably Franklin, but if you were fighting, it would be the one where you were.

Jojo

http://civilwarnovel.com/

Posted: Wed Nov 23rd, 2011 02:26 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

There's another way to measure that tragic data too...the deadliest based on the number killed compared to the number engaged. That would change the "deadliest" battles somewhat as opposed to measuring the sheer number of dead, regardless of how many combatants were actually engaged.

Another way to look at this picture is deadliest depending on the side. Some very deadly battles saw relatively few casulties and deaths on one side but a very high number on the other side.

You can get really compulsive and also research which battles resulted in the highest number of POWs. Or research which battles had the highest number of officers killed (or killed and wounded.)

Current time is 01:30 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4714 seconds (43% database + 57% PHP). 26 queries executed.