Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > Weapons of the Civil War > 1861 enfield 26 gauge .564 caliber musket with bayonet

1861 enfield 26 gauge .564 caliber musket with bayonet - Weapons of the Civil War - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Jul 2nd, 2012 11:35 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
kenswife

Mana: 

I'm trying to find information about our rifle. I've not been able to locate another like this on the web. It also has the initials J.B.S. carved into the stock. Any info in this musket or who J.B.S. could be would be greatly appreciated.

Posted: Mon Jul 2nd, 2012 12:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Sounds like a P53 Rifle Musket. On top of the barrell there should be either a pair of 24 or a pair of 25 stamped on the barrel. The lockplate should be marked: Enfield, Tower. L.A. Co, Barnett, Windsor. Depending on the stamp will depend upon the maker & it's usage. If stamped Enfield it would most likely NOT have made it to The US/CS during the war as most Enfields were reserved for Brit military usage.

Pics would be the best way to tell.

http://www.google.com/search?q=p53+enfield&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=1ZjxT9SMB4fqrAGWnIWPAg&sqi=2&ved=0CE8QsAQ&biw=1440&bih=707

Posted: Mon Jul 2nd, 2012 01:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
kenswife

Mana: 

I can't upload the pics from my phone. It's stamped with a 26 26 in between 3 other markings. Not 24 or 25. The lockplate has the picture of the crown on the left and on the right has 1861 above TOWER. Can't see the La company Barnett Windsor anywhere but it is pretty worn. Tge stamps and markings all match those of other p53 Enfields I've seen on the Internet. I just havent found any marked 26. Only 24/24, 25/25, and one 24/25.

Posted: Mon Jul 2nd, 2012 06:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

Does it have a block rear sight or one like those in the pics on the link I provided? If it has what looks like a crude rear sight, a front sight shaped more like a house & is smoothbore you may have a Sepoy P53 intended for the Indian Army.

Posted: Mon Jul 2nd, 2012 06:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
kenswife

Mana: 

It's hard to make out any differences between the pictures on the link you sent and my rifle. The front sight is shaped like a little house. Sorry I know nothing about guns... When I look down inside the barrel, it is slightly indented or notched in 3 places around the inside all appearing to run straight down the length of the barrel. Thank you so much for your time and help.

Posted: Mon Jul 2nd, 2012 08:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

It sounds like a P53 rifle Musket, the three grooves you see down the barrel are the rifling; which almost certainly eliminates it from the Sepoy weapons. One option for the 26 you are seeing is that they are a distorted 25. These were puit togethr as fast as possible by hand and small differences are not uncommon.

That's my best guess. You have a piece of history, enjoy her.

Posted: Mon Jul 2nd, 2012 09:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
kenswife

Mana: 

Thank you. They are clearly marked 26 in both places. Mystery? I'm taking it to a civil war museum tomorrow. I'll post on here what I find out.

You have chosen to ignore lancejesus. click Here to view this post

Posted: Mon Dec 24th, 2012 07:09 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Thanks to the action of the moderator, this posting is no longer needed.  :D

Last edited on Mon Dec 24th, 2012 08:25 am by Texas Defender

Current time is 03:58 pm
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > Weapons of the Civil War > 1861 enfield 26 gauge .564 caliber musket with bayonet

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3374 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 26 queries executed.