Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Prisoner exchanges during Civil War - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Oct 14th, 2012 11:28 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
BHR62

Mana: 

I'm trying to get a good handle on the POW exchanges the North and South did during the war. I have an ancestor who served in the 3rd Missouri Infantry on the Confederate side. Looking through his records it lists him getting captured at Port Gibson on May 3rd. Then being released the next day and rejoining his regiment. But then I found a file saying he was processed at Alton, Illinois on the 18th of May. Then exchanged at City Point, VA on June 12th. But I also have a file saying he served with his command in all the battles up to Vicksburg. I'm wondering if this was all done by paperwork or if he was physically at Alton and then City Point. I had assumed he would have to had been there physicallyat the POW camps but if thats the case how was he with his regiment during the battles for Vicksburg.

Last edited on Sun Oct 14th, 2012 11:30 am by BHR62

Posted: Sun Oct 14th, 2012 12:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Mark

Mana: 

Is it possible that he might have been paroled after Port Gibson, then broken parole to serve again with his regiment while the paperwork was being processed? If that's not the case, then it seems likely that the file which says he served in all the battles up to Vicksburg was incorrect. Just a wild guess.

Mark

Posted: Mon Oct 15th, 2012 12:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
BHR62

Mana: 

It makes sense that he probably broke his parole and rejoined his unit. I guess a paperwork trail would have to still be done thus the reason for Alton, Illinois, and the camp at Richmond having paperwork on him. It gets a little confusing digging through these files sometimes!

Posted: Wed Oct 17th, 2012 10:15 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Don't know how much help these will be. You did say you were trying to get a handle on prisoner exchanges, though you did specify more specific exchange. These are probably going to be broader.

http://www.civilwarhome.com/prisonerexchange.htm

http://www.civilwarhome.com/parole.htm

http://jfepperson.org/pow.htm

http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~south1/bound.htm

http://beag27.tripod.com/exchange.html

Posted: Wed Oct 17th, 2012 08:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
BHR62

Mana: 

Thanks Hellcat for these links. Prisoner exchanges of the Civil War was something I never looked into much until I started researching my Civil War ancestors.

Posted: Thu Oct 18th, 2012 01:45 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

BHR62 wrote: I'm trying to get a good handle on the POW exchanges the North and South did during the war. I have an ancestor who served in the 3rd Missouri Infantry on the Confederate side. Looking through his records it lists him getting captured at Port Gibson on May 3rd. Then being released the next day and rejoining his regiment. But then I found a file saying he was processed at Alton, Illinois on the 18th of May. Then exchanged at City Point, VA on June 12th. But I also have a file saying he served with his command in all the battles up to Vicksburg. I'm wondering if this was all done by paperwork or if he was physically at Alton and then City Point. I had assumed he would have to had been there physicallyat the POW camps but if thats the case how was he with his regiment during the battles for Vicksburg.

It's possible he was captured and exchanged upon giving his parole and rejoined his unit as a parolee.  He would have been able to do additional duties and such but not carry a weapon.  Then his exchange was completed on the 18th via paperwork.  Though that seems suspect, almost as suspect as his being captured on the 3rd and being physically present in Alton Illinois on the 18th.  It seems, to me, most likely to be a paperwork screwup.   It wasn't uncommon.  I recall seeing one man who was w/ his Regt and reported killed in battle.  Reality was that he had been seperated from his unit and fell iin w/ another Regt.  Took him almost a month to get back to his unit and he was good... until payday came and he was found listed as dead.  Thought they got it all fixed until decades later when he applied for his pension and was shown that he died in 1863... fun.

Posted: Thu Oct 18th, 2012 01:50 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

I have the War Record for my "First Person" reenacting soldier (Albert Sailhorst)....his record shows him dying twice.....about 6 months apart, in different locations, of disease......

Posted: Thu Oct 18th, 2012 07:26 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Albert Sailhorst wrote:
I have the War Record for my "First Person" reenacting soldier (Albert Sailhorst)....his record shows him dying twice.....about 6 months apart, in different locations, of disease......

Was the disease listed and was it the same disease?

Posted: Fri Oct 19th, 2012 01:00 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

The first death says "Disease".....the second, lists diareha, so I suspect the diareha caused him to become dehydrated, resulting in death.

Posted: Fri Oct 19th, 2012 06:50 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

That sounds likely. Actually I could say something else but I'm trying to keep this family friendly incase kids visit.

Current time is 11:00 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3523 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 28 queries executed.