Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > Weapons of the Civil War > Pin fire revolver - any info would be appreciated!

Pin fire revolver - any info would be appreciated! - Weapons of the Civil War - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Oct 22nd, 2012 10:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Jim00

Mana: 

First post to this forum.... I have a pin fire revolver that has been in the family for several decades and I know very little about it. Hoping that someone will be able to provide a little background information on this unique item from the civil war era.

The barrel appeared to have been cut off sometime. In the past. Probably a field modification to eliminate the front sight and facilitate drawing from a belt. Also the hammer/trigger spring doesn't work - no double action, have to manually push the trigger forward to hold the hammer back.

The cylinder has a 3 initial proof mark on the outside and a number 2 on the front. A "L" proof mark is on the barrel. There is also a 38 stamped on the barrel and the frame. Other than these there appears to be no other markings.

At first I thought that the 38 might indicate the caliber. But the little I do know about these revolvers is that the majority were metric calibers.

I have attached several photos for your review.

Thank you,

Jim00

Attachment: image.jpg (Downloaded 5 times)

Posted: Tue Oct 23rd, 2012 01:33 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

I can only see one pic......My guess is it is a post-Civil War weapon, rather than a black powder converted to fire cartridges......

Nice looking piece!!

Current time is 07:31 pm
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > Weapons of the Civil War > Pin fire revolver - any info would be appreciated!

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3076 seconds (14% database + 86% PHP). 26 queries executed.