Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

General Earl Van Dorn - The Battle of Franklin - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Feb 20th, 2013 12:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Barlow

Mana: 

I have been reading about action around Spring Hill Tenn. in 1864 and a fascinating side story about the death of General Van Dorn by Doctor George Peters, who felt that the General had an affair with his wife, Jessie Peters, who was reportedly quite lovely but trapped in a "cold" marriage with Doctor Peters.  The story reads that Jessie gave birth to a child exactly 9 months from the date of her engagement with General Van Dorn.  Anyone know of any links showing a picture of Jessie Peters?  I hope to visit Spring Hill and Franklin and learn more about the matter and killing of General Van Dorn. 

Posted: Mon May 13th, 2013 09:58 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Here is one Barlow, though it probably isn't from the timeframe you had in mind. It is a photo of Jessie Peters with her three children.

http://columbiadailyherald.com/sites/files/article/522581_web_Van-DOrn-5_bds.j

Posted: Mon May 13th, 2013 11:16 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Barlow

Mana: 

Thanks much T.D.   I am heading to Vicksburg in two weeks to see Port Gibson, Champion Hill, Raymond then to Port Hudson and New Orleans;  then go to the Jeff Davis Library in Biloxi, then up to Tuscaloosa then Spring Hill and Franklin Tenn, then home.  I venture that Vicksburg is going to get lost in the wake of Gettysburg in the next few months and few will be thinking about the Western battles while GBurg is commemmorating their 150th.  I hope Vicksburg gets its due.  Cant wait to see Champion Hill

Current time is 11:49 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2041 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 26 queries executed.