Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art > Civil War Books > John Bell Hood:The Rise, Fall, and Resurrection of a Confederate General

John Bell Hood:The Rise, Fall, and Resurrection of a Confederate General - Civil War Books - Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Jul 20th, 2013 02:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
samhood

Mana: 

For ten years I have been researching and writing a book on John Bell Hood. The first words in my book are "It's a shame a book like this has to be written." I then write that my book will be criticized for being unbalanced; when it is in fact the balance that is absent from all other books on Hood and his tenure as commander of the AOT.

During the final phases of my research, last summer (2012) I discovered a treasure trove of documents...Hood's lost personal papers. I incorporated into my text much of the new information revealed in the papers, including two independent eyewitnesses who claim that Frank Cheatham intentionally disobeyed Hood's orders to attack at Spring Hill because he (Cheatham) disapproved night attacks. This corroborates majors Cumming and Ratchford.

Another letter from SD Lee states that AP Stewart said that Patrick Cleburne was complicit with Cheatham, and the next day was distressed that Schofield had escaped, and with feelings of personal responsibility and remorse, died at Franklin the next day.

These are not my opinions or interpretations; they are included in personal letters written to Hood. Had they been saved and archived for public scrutiny in the 1880s, the current interpretation of Spring Hill, and thus Franklin, would be much different than today.

Other important information involves Ed Johnson's night attack at Franklin, and claims by SD Lee that Bate's division had abandoned the front, causing the decimation of Johnson's troops, who had been ordered to hold their fire for fear of hitting Bate's men.

The book is by necessity, intentionally and openly one-sided, and reveals, through primary sources, that most things commonly believed about Hood are utterly baseless. I implore any new students of Hood, Atlanta, or the Tennessee Campaign to read other books in addition to mine to get a complete and balanced view of JB Hood.

Posted: Mon Sep 2nd, 2013 09:33 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
BHR62

Mana: 

hey...I just recieved your book about General Hood in the mail. I'm looking forward to getting started on it. Your book looks pretty interesting from what I've seen of it. I think Hood is an interesting character from the war. After Atlanta I don't think he had any good options. Up to now I've read on the Army of the Cumberland a lot since I had several gg uncles in that army. So it will be interesting to read a Confederate view of the western campaigns.

Posted: Mon Sep 2nd, 2013 02:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
samhood

Mana: 

Thanks for fetching a copy of my book. Please read the Introduction very carefully. It explains exactly what the book is, and just as importantly, what it is not. The first words in the Introduction are, "It's a shame a book like this has to be written." I meticulously researched the common perceptions of Hood, how they evolved, and what historical evidence exists to support what has been written about him. By the time you finish the book I think you'll agree that it is indeed a shame it had to be written.

Posted: Sat Sep 14th, 2013 11:01 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
BHR62

Mana: 

I am doing the CWEA tour at Chickamauga. Yesterday we reached the spot where General Hood was wounded. Tour guide held up your book and endorsed it. A couple others in the tour had read it and were talking positively about it also. I am really looking forward now to getting started on it. I wanted to let you know our tour guide gave it a big thumbs up and a couple in the grouo also liked it.

Posted: Sat Sep 14th, 2013 03:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
samhood

Mana: 

Thank you so much. The response so far has been very gratifying...28 total reviews on Amazon...24 five-stars, and 4 four-stars. (If you would like a signed copy of my book email me at samhood52@aol.com.)

Next spring I will be publishing "The Lost Papers of John Bell Hood" (Savas Beatie) and it will include the full text of Dr. John T Darby's highly detailed report of Hood's Chickamauga wounding, amputation, and daily recovery log from Sept 22 through Nov 15 in Richmond. The report transcript is 14 pages/3,800 words in length. (Darby's shorter report of Hood's Gettysburg wound will be published as well.)

Current time is 12:51 am
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art > Civil War Books > John Bell Hood:The Rise, Fall, and Resurrection of a Confederate General

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1560 seconds (15% database + 85% PHP). 26 queries executed.