Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Tears of the Sun - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Apr 29th, 2014 10:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
wondering

Mana: 

I can't help my lust for silver, shafts sunk, tunnels carved, streams penetrated, all for that precious last cask of Aztec, Inca, Arapaho blood, our bitter Amontillado. Yes sirs, to a debtor's prison children unborn are consigned, bankers foresworn. If centuries hence Sutton Hoo should rise again I pray some poor sprite unearths my coffee can. America was ordained by an ecstasy for gold, but that was never her promise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOr0na6mKJQ

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/02/140226-gold-coins-hoard-california-discovery-numismatics/

Attachment: pp-2910-1.jpg (Downloaded 33 times)

Posted: Wed Apr 30th, 2014 08:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Amontillado? Are we then Fortunato?

Interestingly, the most famous mention of amontillado ties in to Fort Independence on Castle Island in Boston Harbor.

Posted: Thu May 1st, 2014 08:46 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
wondering

Mana: 

Castle Island -- treasure buried in her cellars I'll wager. Let us sally forth, Hellcat, the Amontillado! :)

Posted: Fri May 2nd, 2014 12:24 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Nay, not treasure kind sir. Fortunato himself, so says the legend.

Ah, but it is an interesting legend. You may have seen the <I>Hauntings</I> thread I started in the Other Civil War Talk category so it's little shock I'd be interested in ghost stories. And this legend is that, along with Poe lore. Of course I was obviously latching onto Poe's The Cask of Amontilldo from your "our bitter Amontillado" comment in my comment. Which you clearly got. And one of my ghost story books is Ghosts of Boston Town by Holly Mascott Nadler which I picked up on a trip to the Freedom Trail back almost eleven years ago (will be eleven this October 18th). One of the stories is the legend of how Poe came to be inspired to write his story.

During his stint in the army in the late 1820s Poe was stationed at Fort Independence in Boston. According to the legend Poe saw a small monument outside the fort that read "The officers of the U.S. Regiment of Lt. Art'y erected this monument as a testimony of their respect and friendship for an amiable man & gallant officer" on it's western face. On it's eastern face was a fragment of an ode by William Collins which read "Here honour comes, a Pilgrim gray / To Deck the turf that wraps his clay." And on the north face it became clear what the monument was. A tombstone. The north face read "Beneath this stone are deposited the remains of Lieutenant ROBERT F. MASSIE, of the U.. Regt. of Light Artillery. Near the spot on the 25th Dec 1817, fell Lieutenant Robert F. Massie, Aged 21 years."

Intrigued, Poe began asking questions about what he believed was a duel that the military brass was hushing up. Perhaps this was more than the inspiration for his famed story, perhaps it was also the inspiration for his detective C. Auguste Dupin as Poe was investigating what had happened to Lt. Massie of Virginia almost ten years before he himself arrived at the fort. He learned that Massie arrived at Fort Independence in the summer of 1817 and was almost immediately a very popular figure amongst those at the fort. Save for one man, a Captain Green. Green was known around the fort as an antisocial bully and a master swordsman.

The men did their best to keep clear of Green as much as possible, naturally it was impossible to avoid him altogether at a fort located on an island so there were naturally run-ins with him. And unfortunately for Massie, he had to be with Green on Christmas Eve. It was a snowy evening, the wind howling outside making it not a place officers would want to go. Massie and some of the other officers were naturally gathered inside playing cards along with the cold Green. It was around the witching hour that Massie threw down a winning hand and began to take his winnings. Green immediately accused Massie of cheating, even striking him across the face and demanding satisfaction. Whether Massie wanted to or not, Green had just challenged him to a duel and honor was at stake so he accepted the challenge.

The duel was set for day break, on Christmas day. Now I've always understood that the one challenged is the party who selected the weapons so I makes little sense to me that Massie would have selected something that would quite obviously give Green the advantage. But indeed the choice of weapons was swords. The men and their seconds met outside the fort, the seconds trying to convince them not to go through with it. But honor was at stake, at last for one. Perhaps Massie did try to listen to reason, but Green had never liked Massie and sounds like the type who would use honor as an excuse to get rid of someone he didn't like. And getting rid of Massie is exactly what happened, he ran him through with his sword and he died in the fort's infirmary later that day.

For weeks after the tragic duel depression settled over the officers and men following the loss of the well liked Massie. And some began to talk of revenge will also honoring Massie. The monument for Massie was soon erected while at the same time Green apparently deserted. And the official record was that Green was a deserter. But according to the legend, the official record is a lie.

Poe's investigation reveal that Massie wasn't some special victim of Green. Green was a sociopath who had used dueling to kill six other officers at the various military outposts he had been assigned. Although the public view of the practice was already changing towards the negative in the late 18th century, dueling wasn't outlawed in the US in the early 19th century and in fact was actually gaining in popularity despite movements to ban it (which would lead to dueling grounds where it was considered legal to do so). So it was that Green had apparently found a "legal" way to murder those officers he didn't like. Unfortunately for him, Green's last victim was too well liked and his friends planned to get revenge for Massie.

And now the legend becomes the well known Poe short story. A delegation of officer pretended to be friends with Green one night, getting him falling down drunk. They then led him down into the underbelly of the fort to the old dungeons. They dragged him along to the most out of the way cell and shackled him in place. Then, just as Green was waking up and discovering what was happening to him, shouting for the men to return and set him free, the men piled out of the cell and began bricking the cell closed for what they believed would be forever.

With the deed done and Green consigned to death the men of the detail all requested transfers before what they did could be discovered. But word leaked out to the enlisted men even though the commanders of the fort wanted it to remain a secret. Poe was summoned to the commander's office and ordered to keep the truth of the disappearance of Green a secret. But the legend says Poe was unable to obey completely, using it as the basis for The Cask of Amontillado. and in 1905 a work crew working in the old basement discovered the remains of Captain Green

Now if you look on Wikipedia there are many explanations for the origin of Poe's classic tale. Including the Fort Independence one. But there it is said his name wasn't Captain Green but rather Lieutenant Gustavus Drane. And that Drane actually was court martialed and acquitted of Massie's death, going on to die in 1846. Perhaps this is true, but not as fascinating as the legend. Then again, perhaps the court martial and acquittal were all part of a cover-up. Or perhaps Drane was actually one of Massie's friends who avenged his death and was recorded as being his murder as part of a cover-up for the disappearance of Green. Or perhaps he was even Green's second on that tragic Christmas Day in 1817. Sometimes truth is strange than fiction and harder to accept as truth. But often a good legend beats out truth. After all, could Washington not tell a lie for chopping down the cherry tree? And isn't there treasure buried on Oak Island worth dying for?

Edit: Sorry, think I hijacked the thread there. Just the mention of amontillado and I went straight to Poe and the legend behind the story.

Last edited on Fri May 2nd, 2014 04:58 am by Hellcat

Posted: Fri May 2nd, 2014 02:01 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
wondering

Mana: 

Honestly a thread should meander, just as an old brook winds, or aged team without blinders wanders. A mule-driver's bench, t'ain't lonely, long as you got good yarns riding shotgun. Thanks Hellcat, what a superb story of Poe and the duellist, never knew nothing about it. Yep, you wait and see, there's gold in them hills. ;)

Posted: Fri May 2nd, 2014 05:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Are they hills or are they mountains. Superstition Mountains. Cause if so, I recently heard a tale of a mine of gold there in. Follow the old government road to the rock that looks like a man. Then look for the stone house.

Posted: Mon May 5th, 2014 02:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
wondering

Mana: 

Mountains, brother, therein Amontillado, but let's see horde first, watch your step. ;)

A castle is built one stone at a time. ~ Irish proverb

Attachment: 2012-05-27 035.JPG (Downloaded 14 times)

Posted: Mon May 5th, 2014 07:12 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

And perhaps the search is not in the mountains, perhaps it's in the ocean.

Although last night I just saw a show on Montezuma's treasure being moved from Tenochtitlan supposedly to around what is today the Kanab, Utah.

Posted: Wed May 7th, 2014 11:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
wondering

Mana: 

Or perhaps still found with Lady of the Lake, as in Arthur's time? Dear God, friend, when I contemplate our New World, by a Black Shadow raped only a dozen lives before ours, forever destroyed, Tenochtitlan, Chichen Itza, Cuzco ... I shudder as Poe's demons abound.

Edit: I meant to say Black Legend, as in the conduct of conquistodors. This great film touches upon it. And now back to the American Civil War, with my apologies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weuYp-XFxAo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Legend

Last edited on Thu May 8th, 2014 06:18 pm by wondering

Posted: Thu May 8th, 2014 11:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

What apologies? This is The Lounge. And break it down even further, it's Idle Chit-Chat. I mean look at the categories in The Lounge. Food, Cooking, and Gardening states it's "A place to share recipes, regional and ethnic food knowledge, etc." Go in and look through some of the threads and posts, not all of them pertain to period cooking and gardening. You even have a thread complaining about not every thing discussed in the category is from the Civil War period or even the 19th century. Other History states "People that love to study the Civil War usually love history in general. Talk about non-Civil War history here." The description itself is pretty clear it's not a category about the Civil War. And Idle Chit-Chat states "Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else goes here." I suppose stuff pertaining to the Civil War can go here, though I typically think of the Other Civil War Talk category when I have something related to the war that doesn't seem to fit most of the categories.

To me, there's no need apologize for this thread not being Civil War related because you did post it in the Idle Chit-Chat category.

Posted: Fri May 9th, 2014 09:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
wondering

Mana: 

Thanks, man. Rangers! ;)

Current time is 03:03 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3694 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 25 queries executed.