Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > General Civil War Talk > The Confederacy did a Great Thing for This World

The Confederacy did a Great Thing for This World - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Jul 27th, 2014 03:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Decian

Mana: 

A CATALYST TO GREATNESS -- it all meant something -- it all MATTERED!
BUT, HAD THEY WON, THAT WOULD BE A FAR DIFFERENT AND TRAGIC STORY.
[[Excerpted from:
http://vnylcitygov.blogspot.com/2014/06/a-new-age-of-darkness-if-united-states.html]]

Shocked? So was I. It took a lot of deep soul-searching to reach this realization. I had to do 60 major revisions to my essay: "A BRAND NEW DARK AGE (#60) == IF the United States Had LOST Her Civil War" (linked in two other separate posts, below) -- before my understanding and respect reached this level -- which I hope is as sound as I think it is.

(And, I'm so glad to have finally figured out -- I think -- how to manage President Lincoln's favorite biblical saying: "Judge not, lest ye be judged.")

1. For consider. Slavery wasn't going to go away on its own -- not in the conceivable future. IT WAS A MONUMENTAL HUMAN SITUATION -- which no person or group of people -- or even an ENTIRE nation of them -- could significantly control. IT TOOK NOTHING LESS THAN THE INTERVENTION OF FATE.

2. Even if our fellow Americans of the South wanted it to go away -- (as many did, even if they had to remain quiet about it) -- all who felt this way were stuck as to how to do it -- without destroying their society -- and worsening their personal conditions -- while replacing these with daunting unknowns.

3. And those who were born into that condition -- either as slave-masters, slaves, or lookers-on -- were merely being what we ALL are -- the SUM-TOTAL result of life's circumstance -- into which we are uniquely born and must endure and grow through -- while compelled to try our puny best to change and stabilize things in our favor. They were who they were, BECAUSE things were the way they were -- as life confronted them the way it did. That's it. Done is done. They, as we, were born into a world which was already running on its own -- long before us -- and will continue, hopefully, long after we leave it.

4. The issue was a festering sore on the body and soul of the nation -- and, even on the ENTIRE world. Everyone could see this. It had to be dealt with -- one way or another -- or it would have killed or ruined us, anyway -- as it almost did. Pushed on by a relentless fate -- the Confederates FORCED the issue which HAD to be FACED. The best available human minds -- couldn't even begin to figure out any other way to completely "fix" things. It was out of human hands.

5. And, what a HARD, BRILLIANT, INSTRUCTIVE fight they made! They helped unlock and deepen the value and glory of the struggle, for all time, by making it so difficult and costly (it takes at least "two to tango") -- but, oh, SO WORTHWHILE and MEANINGFUL -- ("the harder the struggle, the sweeter the triumph") -- which built-up the steel in this nation's backbone -- and the wisdom in its soul -- revealing these for all to see -- a steel and increasing maturity the world has needed, often, ever since. And, they helped prove to all (INCLUDING TO OURSELVES) -- something invaluable which we could not have otherwise known so fully -- that the American people are an awesome force with which to reckon -- even or ESPECIALLY among themselves. WE TRULY NEED OUR CONSTITUTION TO RATIONALLY CONTAIN, CONSTRAIN, AMPLIFY, AND DIRECT THIS AWESOME POWER.

[THEY HELPED TO PUSH AND PULL THIS NATION ONTO ITS PRESENT TRAJECTORY OF GREATNESS -- and were essential to the very favorable way things are today -- "it USUALLY takes TWO HANDS to clap"] Even though few may have realized it, then and now, it was truly a "team effort" on destiny's overriding agenda -- through the furnace of bitter war -- and to hammer out something so perfectly suited for the things yet to come. TOGETHER, WITH THE UNION, THEY LEFT US AN EPIC STORY -- "AN AMERICAN ILIAD" TO enshrine, for all time, the nation's grandeur and humanity -- to enlighten, delight, instruct, and inspire the generations to come

6. Please take a look at that essay and tell me where I might have gone astray. Reactions, so far -- favorable and not -- have been incredibly helpful to me along this self-maturing path which fate has set before me. And, I so want to help our nation fully heal -- at long last.

http://vnylcitygov.blogspot.com/2014/06/a-new-age-of-darkness-if-united-states.html

7. Abraham Lincoln proved, once and for all, that the "ordinary" human being can CHANGE him or herself so as do the "extraordinary" things which circumstance seems to require.

8. All I want is to try my best to leave a far better world behind me -- than the one in which we all were so lucky to have been born -- lovely, perhaps, but with a potential to be OH, SO MUCH MORE -- FOR ALL.

9. "All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts, his acts being seven ages." -- William Shakespeare

[/url][url]

Last edited on Sun Aug 10th, 2014 12:47 am by Decian

Posted: Sun Jul 27th, 2014 10:06 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
wondering

Mana: 

"Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more."

I am intrigued, Decian, but where is the link?

"He which hath no stomach to this fight, let him depart; his passport shall be made, and crowns for convoy put into his purse; we would not die in that man’s company that fears his fellowship to die with us."

Posted: Mon Jul 28th, 2014 01:34 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Decian

Mana: 

Hi Wondering,

Sorry 'bout that. I had trouble with the link-function, so I referenced the earlier posts. Thanks for asking, for now I've figured it out (I think) - this is a test. Please advise if you have any trouble accessing.

Regards!

http://vnylcitygov.blogspot.com/2014/06/a-new-age-of-darkness-if-united-states.html

P.S. It worked! I went back and included in the original. Thanks.

PPS. Nice selection of quotes

Last edited on Mon Jul 28th, 2014 02:09 am by Decian

Posted: Tue Jul 29th, 2014 06:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
wondering

Mana: 

Decian, I'm certainly not with "the times", so please don't be discouraged by my views on presentation, but I confess I find your page difficult to navigate: calendars, colors, sizes, underlines. I'm no judge, a marketer's worst nightmare, never even sent a text, kind of an anti-technologist. For me personally, even with boring failings, the power of the word alone is profound enough.

Yes, I am a relic. That said, brother, I enjoy your thoughts. You're thinking! Too often we "moderns" are consumed by self, side-tracked from promise, take for granted a legacy bestowed by patriots. You have the heart to take up the flag, yet are open to views of others, moderation; I applaud you. Each has his own style, that's what makes life interesting. Honest voices in the wilderness are what the West needs most right now. Do carry on, good sir. ;)

Posted: Thu Jul 31st, 2014 07:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
wondering

Mana: 

Post-script for a Civic Mentor:

Decian, just wanted you to know how much I echo many of your sentiments. Mankind can achieve a better society, and despite pain and sorrow, the American Civil War was a step in the right direction. The silliness and polarization that pervades modern culture breaks me in half, drives me underground.

I apologize sincerely if my last comment seems callous or heavy-handed, as that was not my intention; I agree with so much you write. Don't give up on noble aspirations for mankind, the angels of our better nature. I have not yet either. Peace, friend.

Posted: Thu Aug 7th, 2014 04:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Decian

Mana: 

Dear Wondering,

Thanks so much for your kind and very encouraging words. I just found your comments and am so glad I did.

I agree that it's a very busy document with coloring and all. I am especially disappointed that I couldn't yet train myself to make the "Table of Contents" properly hyper-linked, internally, so people could navigate the huge thing more easily. (It's a nightmare trying to sort through all the massive HTML coding and tinker with it, without producing all sorts of other problems.)

That said, I am glad you were able to get the gist of what I'm trying to say. I'll keep working on it, now that I have something I can stream-line and simplify.

With best regards,
David

P.S. Wow, Wondering! This is turning into a REALLY great day! I just spotted your second comment (of the 31st). Don't know how I missed it. Thanks for yet another burst of kind encouragement. All the best to you, my friend.

Last edited on Thu Aug 7th, 2014 05:45 pm by Decian

Current time is 10:17 pm
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > General Civil War Talk > The Confederacy did a Great Thing for This World

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3189 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 25 queries executed.