Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Gods and Generals (TJ Jackson) - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Aug 9th, 2006 07:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
domPelican

Mana: 

Did anyone else hear the rumor that Mel Gibson might have played the part of Stonewall Jackson for the Gods and Generals movie? I'm beginning to wonder if I just imagined that.

Posted: Wed Aug 9th, 2006 07:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
MAubrecht

Mana: 

Actually Russell Crowe was the original choice to play Stonewall Jackson. He had begun reading and practicing for the role until his wife went into labor back in Australia, forcing him to drop out. Stephen Lang had begun to reprise his role as George Pickett but instead was asked to fill in the role of Jackson. And he did an EXCELLENT job - if I do say so myself.

Posted: Thu Aug 10th, 2006 03:16 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
domPelican

Mana: 

I did not know about Crowe in that part.  That would've been interesting.  You're right about Stephen Lang.  He did an amazing job on the role.  My only gripe was that with "Gettysburg" being as good as it was and actors like Beringer and Sheen  making such an awesome impression in those roles, including Lang as Pickett, changing characters seemed a little backwards.  Did you think so?

Anyway Gods and Generals had such finely presented battles and authentic looking sets but I felt that all the speeches were tiresome.  Anyone else felt that way?

Posted: Thu Aug 10th, 2006 04:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

"Gettysburg" was an awsome movie....."Gods and Generals", I thought, was very disappointing......The dialogue was gaudy, the speeches redundant and over-blown. From the begining, I had a problem with "Lee" deciding so quickly to side with the South, rather than agonize over the decision of having to choose (as we all know he did)

Posted: Thu Aug 10th, 2006 05:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
James Longstreet

Mana: 

I completely agree, Gods and Generals was...O.K., but it could not compare to Gettysburg.  Gettysburg was dramatic and sweeping, but Gods and Generals was kind of boring in parts, such as the windy speeches.  I mean Berenger as Longstreet was perfect; that was the role and the movie that really got me interested in Longstreet.  The scene where Lee and Longstreet argue about Pickett's Charge, and then when the assault was actually executed; that was great.  The book was awesome too.

--Casey

Last edited on Thu Aug 10th, 2006 05:32 pm by James Longstreet

Posted: Thu Aug 10th, 2006 05:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Just for kicks, I got the following information from http://www.moviemistakes.com/

In the battle for Fredricksburg you can see streaks in the sky from jets.

In the Battle of Bull Run, you can see that they use the same shot twice. It is a wide panoramic shot of the two armies. You see two explosions, one in the middle, and the second by the tree on the right.

In one scene, General Lee and his lieutenants celebrate Christmas of 1862 with a rousing rendition of Silent Night. Unfortunately, the English lyrics, by John Freeman Young, were not yet written. Young penned the lyrics the following year, and it was still some years later before they were known well enough for such a spontaneous sing-along to occur

A.P. Hill was promoted to Major General in May 1862, but during the Battle of Chancellorsville in May 1863 he is introduced as 'Brigadier General A.P. Hill'.

The Confederate camp before the July 1861 Battle of Bull Run has shelter tents (AKA pup tents). These tents were first used by the Union army in late spring 1862. Conversely, the Union Army of the Potomac at Chancellorsville in May of 1863 is using common tents - the kind replaced by the shelter tent a year earlier.

In 1861, neither Stonewall Jackson nor Robert E. Lee had heavy beards. Lee grew his after his resignation, and Jackson grew his during his campaigns

Albert Sailhorst, Scott's Battery

Posted: Fri Aug 11th, 2006 02:12 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
TimHoffman01

Mana: 

OK, now I'm going to have to rewatch the WHOLE thing just to see where some of these are. :D

Actually my wife and I had a good chuckle over some of the other scenes.  Most impressive was the large mountain behind Fredericksburg in the scenes where the civilians and CS troops are evacuating.  I lived there for most of a decade, and didn't remember seeing anything like that.  I mentioned to her it made it look like WEST Virginia.  Only later did I find out the actually shot many of the F'burg scenes in Harper's Ferry (WVa).

Gettysburg, though, wasn't without its own recycling incidents.  I KNOW I saw the same Confederate soldier shot about THREE times, flailing around the same way each time, during the assault on Little Round Top.

Interesting tidbit about Russel Crowe though.

I also didn't realize Jackson only grew his beard during the war.  The only pictures I've usually seen of him were all either much younger or during his confederate service.

Posted: Fri Aug 11th, 2006 03:00 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
James Longstreet

Mana: 

It's hard to imagine either Lee or Jackson without beards to me.  Also, I just found out that the guy who played "Harrison" in Gettysburg was also in an early 80's Civil War mini series called "The Blue and the Gray."  He played one of the main character's brothers.

Posted: Fri Aug 11th, 2006 12:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

The guy that palyed "Harrison" in Gettysburg was also in "Urban Cowboy".

He played Bud's freind, Marshal.

You have chosen to ignore indy19th. click Here to view this post

Posted: Tue Aug 15th, 2006 02:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

I agree....those mistakes are no big deal.....just interesting!

I also agree about the Jim Lewis scenes. I thought the majority of them were irrelevant. I think they were part of the movie in order to satisfy the general masses of audiences who still think that slavery was THE isue of the war.

Albert Sailhorst, Scott's Battery

Posted: Wed Aug 16th, 2006 01:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
naakke

Mana: 

Love the Bob Dylan song.

Posted: Wed Aug 16th, 2006 03:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
anv57regnc

Mana: 

Will the Director's Cut ever see the light of day?

On June 10th I was lucky enough to be at the special showing for the Horses of Gettysburg in Leesburg Va. Being only one of about 5 reenactors there in uniform I had great access to Ron Maxwell. And I did ask him about the full version of the movie as I know it was seen at the Christian Films thing in New Mexico over 2 years ago. He told me that the full version is done and the reason it has not seen the light of day so far is because Warner Bros will not put it out because the orginal version on dvd is still selling well. He told me that it will be out but not of one to two more years.

I have a blog and photos from that day on my webpage if you want to have a look.

http://www.geocities.com/anv57regnc

Major Bill Hartley

Posted: Fri Sep 29th, 2006 05:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
A.J.

Mana: 

Also in "Gettysburg" there is a scene where Tom Chamberlain brings his brother Joshua a cup of coffee after the battle on Little Round Top. Joshua is sitting atop one of those large boulders, and between the branches of a tree you can see the statue of Gen. Warren just as plain as can be.

Posted: Mon Oct 2nd, 2006 07:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
HankC

Mana: 

They actually filmed on LRT?

HankC

Posted: Tue Oct 3rd, 2006 02:05 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
David White

Mana: 

Yes they did.  In another scene on LRT (where the signal flags are used) the sun catches the bumper of a car as it turns on Cemetery Hill and if you look after the flash you will see the car.  It's hard to make out but if you put it in slow motion and have a sharp picture on your TV you will see it. 

Last edited on Tue Oct 3rd, 2006 02:12 pm by David White

Posted: Thu Oct 5th, 2006 01:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
Art B.

Mana: 

David...

You mean that wasn't the glint of bayonets?!

AorB

Current time is 12:52 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1935 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 28 queries executed.