Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Off the beaten path - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Aug 29th, 2006 02:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
HankC

Mana: 

It's great to find a Civil War gem in the rough. These are places you stumble onto, intending to spend a minute but stay an hour; a secluded nook on a busy battlefield parks and or a spot tucked way in nowhereville. ConnYankee's post about Maryland Heights got me thinking about it, and I offer a few places I have visited just to whet your appetite. Please add your own.

Maryland Heights near Harper's Ferry - thanks Conn, have a beer on me after the hike...

Ball's Bluff -especially with Jim Morgan around, give Jim a beer after the hike ;)

Confederate cemetery in Chattanooga -not sure of the exact directions but it's surrounded by a stone wall and all the graves are unmarked but one

Fort Davidson, Ironton Missouri - a big little battle,

Guinea Station - where Jackson died, almost always deserted,

Fort Ward - Alexandria VA, nice restoration of a capitol-guarding fort. Hard to believe it was in the country in the 1860s…

Charlestown WV courthouse - where John Brown was tried and hanged a couple of blocks away

Glasgow MO - another little battle, nice walking tour among the old houses

Perryville, KY - nice tour and guidebook at this overlooked and beautful  battlefield

HankC

Posted: Tue Aug 29th, 2006 03:03 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
younglobo

Mana: 

Hank C

I see you have been to A couple MO. BattleFields have you ever been to The Lexington, MO Site  On that site is the Anderson House it is just a cool old house , which has a nice back Landing which is a great place to have a cup of  your favorite beverage and just socialize, has 2 big oaks for shade which is good too.

Posted: Tue Aug 29th, 2006 03:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
David White

Mana: 

Andersonville

Olustee

Ft. Barancas

Ft. Morgan

Ft. Gaines

Confederate Museum in New Orleans

Monacacy

Good call on Ball's Bluff and Charlestown CH. 

Posted: Tue Aug 29th, 2006 03:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Dill Creek Ravine at Shiloh. Hidden away, most visitors never see it. It's an impressive topographical feature that really shows what the soldiers faced. Next time you're at Shiloh, ask a guide for directions.

Posted: Tue Aug 29th, 2006 08:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
connyankee

Mana: 

Got to see that Dill Creek ravine a couple of Aprils ago based on the same advice you gave me back then.  Thanks for that - it was awesome! I chose the anniversary of the battle for my first and only visit to Shiloh and Corinth and I've been elated about it ever since.  I sat, dumbfounded, at Fraley Field early one morning with not a soul in sight and read a chapter of Larry Daniel's book and took a bunch of pictures.  I walked my legs off at Shiloh.  Also had lunch at Hagy's and was pleasantly surprised to find Cherry Mansion open for tours.

My favorite places:

Antietam/Sharpsburg

Ball's Bluff

Cold Harbor

North Anna (go see Lee's inverted V - awesome!)

Fort Fisher

Bentonville

Gaines Mill

Harper's Ferry 

Gettysburg

Shiloh

:) (I really like 'em all)

Posted: Tue Aug 29th, 2006 11:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
James Longstreet

Mana: 

Pea Ridge, Arkansas is a great park that's getting better, and the scenery is beautiful.  Also anywhere near Shiloh.

Posted: Wed Aug 30th, 2006 03:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
younglobo

Mana: 

General Sir

You Reminded me of something. The first year I reenacted we went to Pea Ridge and they always have that reenactment during Dec. for some reason, anyway when we saddled up to go out for the battle it started snowing these BIG fluffy flakes it was beatiful was almost to pretty to fight , reminded me of the line " it is good war is so brutal or we would grow fond of it" think that was said be Lee. Had to be the prettiest reenactment battle I had been in. Plus the wife and i went there during our Honeymoon so it is special for that reason too.

Thanks for remindin me

Michael

Posted: Wed Aug 30th, 2006 06:03 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Marie

Mana: 

Johnson's Island.

Site of a Confederate POW camp. 

There is a cemetary there, and archeologic work is ongoing at the locations of the "sinks" and barracks.

You can't get much more off the beaten path than an Island in Lake Erie  :)

Posted: Thu Aug 31st, 2006 01:15 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
James Longstreet

Mana: 

Anytime, Michael.

Posted: Fri Sep 8th, 2006 05:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Art B.

Mana: 

And I recommend Pickett's Mill, GA, just west of Kennesaw Mtn. Some rugged terrain and a very knowledgeable staff await the ACW tourist at this out-of-the-way battlefield. OOHoward got yet another comeuppance here at the hands of Patrick Cleburne et al.

I found Monocacy too spread out and the pertinent sites underdeveloped [hidden signage, lack of "interpretation," for example]. They are getting a new visitors' center soon, if not already, up on a hill away from the river.

Lexington, VA is nice and quiet too; Lee's Chapel, TJJackson's grave & home, Va. Military Institute. Lots to see in such a small area.

Got to Irwinville GA's Jefferson Davis Capture Site but it was closed, so got half-credit for a "hit." Looks like a nice plot of land with a quaint museum.

Averasboro NC, a little southwest of Bentonville, has a private museum and a nice UDC cemetery [Chicora Cemetery].

Just outside [west of] Durham NC is the Bennett Place and Durham Station, where Joe Johnston surrendered to Uncle Billy Sherman.

Speaking of surrenders, go to Appomattox VA for a day to soak in the emotions of that spot.

Columbus GA has a big Civil War Naval Museum I highly recommend. They're always looking for new members, especially nowadays because they need help to finance the building of a full-size replica of a Civil War paddlewheel steamer that fought on both sides during the war [The Water Witch?]. Very nice facility. About an hour-and-a-half NW from Andersonville GA.

And even on the big, popular fields of Gettysburg, it's very inspiring to be at Oak Hill or the Peace Light Memorial near sundown -- everybody's in town eating dinner, so you've got the place almost to yourself. Probably like that at Shiloh's peach orchard, Chickamauga's Horseshoe Ridge, Antietam's Rohrbach's Bridge.

Yay, Olustee FL! Even smaller is Natural Bridge, south of Tallahassee, where a hodge-podge group of militia and cadets held off a Union raiding party coming up from the St. Marks River.

I'm still looking for Iuka, out near Corinth MS. Anybody find plaques, earthworks, etc. out at Iuka?

Art in Tampa, FL

Last edited on Fri Sep 8th, 2006 05:51 pm by Art B.

Posted: Sat Sep 9th, 2006 04:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
calcav

Mana: 

Art,

The places to visit in Iuka are few and far between. Check out the Blue & Gray Magazine (August 2002) Special Corinth & Iuka Issue. The "General's Tour" will lead you to the few remaining sites (a monument, a church used as a hospital, a mass confederate grave). The tour directions will note where the fighting occured but nearly all of the land has been developed.

When you make the trip, stop by the Corinth Civil War Interpretive Center and say hi.

Tom

Posted: Thu Sep 14th, 2006 05:31 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Guniea Station is a good find

Gettysburg , Shiloh , Sharpsburg, always worth a visit

Pea Ridge , Wilsons Creek in Missouri

Drum Barracks in Wilmington California

Saylor's Creek

The  General and the Texas 

I agree Stonewall Jackson's grave, take a look at the grave right next to it  Col William Wilson .  His gravestone tells it all.  Amazing life . 

New Market   VMI does a good job  The film on the Field of Lost Shoes is good .

Now I am headed to South Carolina for two weeks .  Can't wait to see what I can find , first stop is the Hunley . I leave for SC on  Sept. 22 . 

Posted: Thu Sep 14th, 2006 11:24 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
connyankee

Mana: 

Art,

I've got the coolest 2 minute video shot of the Peace Memorial at Gettysburg.  I went back out there about 8:30 one evening, after having been there earlier in the day, wanting to get a shot of the flame.  The place was nearly deserted and there was a storm moving in from the west - a Confederate storm, I think.  Judging by the timing, the lightning was still about 4 or 5 miles off.  This wasn't a terribly smart thing to do but anyways, as I was filming this shadow of a monument and it's flame, it suddenly light up like a Christmas Tree - you can read the words inscripted on the stone and everything.  I know I got spooked because the camera jiggled a bit but I kept filming -back to the shadow and the flame, then silence, then a long roll of thunder, then silence again and fade.  AWESOME!  I'm still here to tell about it.

:shock:  CY

Posted: Thu Sep 14th, 2006 12:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
Art B.

Mana: 

Hey there, CY...

Neat story! It's episodes like the one you experienced that burn into our memories the places we visit. My first visit to Gettysburg [late July 1998] landed me at the 1st day's sites about an hour before sundown. The air was perfectly still and hot, birds winging home, an intermittent car zooming by on the highway [not all that much an intrusion believe it or not], and the sun turning the clouds yellow and orange. I had driven far that day [back roads out of Fredericksburg after seeing Chancellorsville and Spotsylvania], enjoyed my first roller-coaster ride down and up US 15 at Point of Rocks, and coming into The Burg on Alt 15 past BRT, LRT, Codori et al. barns, I was pumped. So the calming effects of Oak Hill were very welcome.

Art in Tampa, FL

Posted: Sat Nov 4th, 2006 09:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
Regina

Mana: 

Great post !!   I have found some "gems in the rough--special, secluded CW spots" on my recent travels.  I would list Harper's Ferry, Monocacy, Ball's Bluff, South Mountain, as well as Barlow's Knoll in Gettysburg.  There have been other great "finds" along the way such as Middletown, Maryland and the spot near Thurmont, Maryland where Custer was breveted to General on the road to Gettysburg (along rt. 15).  Near there is also Catoctin Furnace where Gen. Reynolds passed by on the way to Gettysburg.  There was also a house/field hospital in Front Royal, VA, John Brown's place (where he planned the raid) the Kennedy Farm.  Fort McHenry, Baltimore, where wounded from Gettysburg were taken as well as Confederate prisoners.  I would also include the cemeteries in these areas where mass graves are--they are quite moving and I am usually the only one there.  One other spot fascinated me recently--at Gettysburg.  I was driving down West Confederate Ave and saw a small road to the right.  I hadn't noticed this spot the first 20 times I've been down that road.  Anyway, the monument there was for U.S. Sharpshooters who were there during the fighting on July 3 !!  It was the first I had heard of any Union soldiers behind enemy lines that day.  I still have to learn more about it.

Posted: Sat Nov 4th, 2006 10:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
Regina

Mana: 

Hmm...I forgot two of my favorite "off the beaten path" CW sites.  They're both outside of Gettysburg.  The Cashtown Inn and East Cavalry Battlefield.

Posted: Sun Nov 5th, 2006 12:33 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Regina  I found some sites in South Carolina recently .  Richard Kirkland's grave for one .  It is in the Quaker cemetery in Camden South Carolina, his home town.  On either side of the headstone is a real canteen hanging off the stone.  Very emotional .

Not really off the beaten path but the three Hunley Crews in Magnolia Cemetery in Charleston is an interesting place to go after seeing the Hunley in it's  tank .  We were the only one in both cemeteries the day my friend took me. 

Old Santee Canal Park in Moncks Corner has a model of the David , the first torpedo attack on a Union ironclad  The New Ironsides .  They also have  a scale model and display of the David in the center there.  Here at Stony Landing is where the David was built.  worth the trip. 

Posted: Tue Nov 7th, 2006 07:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
Widow

Mana: 

I've visited only a few sites in my year or so of the Civil War.  One that's really unusual is the Pipe Creek Line, in western Maryland.  It stretches along Big Pipe Creek for about 20 miles from Manchester on the east to Hanover on the west.

It was Meade's position for the Army of the Potomac in the last days of June 1863.  It had all the features needed.  It enabled Meade to obey his orders to protect Washington and Baltimore.  A little single-track railroad was nearby for rapid supply of the army.  It had a good road system to the nearby towns, so the internal lines of communication were fairly easy.  Best of all, if Lee wanted to attack, he would have to move south from Pennsylvania along three roads which all funneled directly toward Meade's position.  Meade would have been able to block Lee's escape routes to the Potomac, and possibly bag the entire ANV.

But Lee was moving further north in Pennsylvania, and the first clashes on 1 Jul near Gettysburg forced Meade to abandon the Pipe Creek Line.  Sedgwick's huge 6th Corps was on the east end of the line, so had the longest distance to march.  They hustled, and got to Gettysburg on 2 July, I believe.

The locale is just beautiful, too rugged for development, and it looks nearly the way it looked 143 years ago.

Of special interest is a stone marker placed by two surveyors named Mason and Dixon, right on the state line between Maryland and Pennsylvania.

Patty

Current time is 09:10 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1975 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 26 queries executed.