Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > Other Civil War Talk > Recommended battles to be portrayed in novels, or movies

Recommended battles to be portrayed in novels, or movies - Other Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Dec 15th, 2006 12:53 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
Regina

Mana: 

I would really like to see the battle of Belle Grove (Cedar Creek) made into a movie.

Posted: Fri Dec 15th, 2006 11:56 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Allatoona... one of the most brutal fights of the war and few know anything about it.  It has everything, technology courage a romance etc... but most importantly a tribute to the courage and tenacity of the American fighting man.

Posted: Fri Dec 15th, 2006 02:03 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

I phrased it very poorly. I meant "infamous" in that Custer may have brought it on himself with his management or mismanagement of the situation resulting in the horrendous deaths of his own men. Don't think for one minute that I in any way endorse the mistreatment of native Americans. Their history is a tragic one.  We had just fought a war that resulted in the liberation of slaves, then turned right around and continued unabated abuse of native Americans.  Yes, some could forward that tired argument that Custer was "just obeying orders." I don't in this case.

The reason I think his story would make a compelling movie is that it has the timeless elements of hubris within the backdrop of war, two wars actually, the Civil War and the following frontier "war." There was no shortage of hubris on either side in the Civil War, but Custer stands out because he was a master of self promotion.

Posted: Fri Dec 15th, 2006 03:18 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
HankC

Mana: 

It'd be tough to do in 2 hours, but a Grant movie would be good. Highs, lows, drama and many historic personages. Shucks, if Patton got a whole movie, surely Grant can ;)

Cleburne would be good as well, if only to hear:

"Generall, few of us will ever return to Arkansas," Gen. Daniel Govan said.

"Well, Govan," Cleburne replies, "if we are to die, let us die like men."

HankC

Posted: Fri Dec 15th, 2006 05:04 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
ole

Mana: 

"Well, Govan," Cleburne replies, "if we are to die, let us die like men."

Oh, yes! With Kevin Costner playing Cleburne. His portrayal of an Irishman would have  to be hilarious.

Ole

Posted: Sat Dec 16th, 2006 12:23 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

ole wrote: "Well, Govan," Cleburne replies, "if we are to die, let us die like men."

Oh, yes! With Kevin Costner playing Cleburne. His portrayal of an Irishman would have  to be hilarious.

Ole

No. No. Costner as Cleburne? Oh no!  How about Costner as Cheatham? Or Schofield? Or how about let's allow Costner to sit out the Cleburne movie all together?  :D

That said, I'm stumped trying to think who would play a great Cleburne.

Posted: Sat Dec 16th, 2006 02:09 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
27th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

NO WAY Costner as Cleburne.  First of all he is too old and second of all he doesn't look like him and first off all he doesn't look like him.  no no no. 

I agree though I can't think who should play him.

When my book club read American Brutus and Blood on the Moon some of us emailed back and forth casting a movie verison.  Going on looks not necessarily the right ages .  I played around and cut and pasted pictures of all the conspiritors and then actors that we had suggested to play the parts.  Some where so close they could have been related.  Wish I had saved the email now.  I know for Booth forgetting age we suggested Johnny Depp or Kevin Kline.  Kline is too old but look at pictures together .  I have forgotten the others but it was great fun at the time . 

Posted: Fri Dec 22nd, 2006 05:35 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
28th Post
Kentucky_Orphan

Mana: 

I always thought that a movie about Forrest would be really good or really bad with no "in between". A movie about the Overland campaign would be the most compelling if done right, but the bloody angle (if shot realistically) would make saving private ryan lool like a g rated kids movie in comparison. Time constraints would also come into play with a film of that scope as well.

No, a movie about the lead -up, the immediate follow up, and the battle of Antietam (or Sharpsburg) itself would be the best choice for a film in my opinion. All the dramatic elements are there, and it is reasonable to assume that it could be cut into a less than 3 1/2 hour movie and still cover the topic well.

Posted: Fri Dec 22nd, 2006 05:39 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
29th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Would love to see a movie on Forrest but I am sure you are right about it would be either really good or really bad with nothing in between.  

Posted: Fri Dec 22nd, 2006 06:24 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
30th Post
Kentucky_Orphan

Mana: 

The lack of Antietam in the film medium has always got me though. It has gathered more attention from writers and historians not only for the battle itself but also for its political ramifications. Both of these elements would, I think, combine to make a great film if the right people were to do it.

Posted: Fri Dec 22nd, 2006 06:06 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
31st Post
ole

Mana: 

Agreed that Custer was most severiously whumpted up on at Little Big Horn. The obvious conclusion is that Custer blew it, big time! The pattern held that they would scatter and dissapate ito infectual units. Unfortunately, it didn't turn out as expected

Posted: Fri Dec 29th, 2006 01:15 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
32nd Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

How about a comparing and contrasting "Tale of Two Brigades"?  They would be the Union's Iron Brigade and the South's Stonewall Brigade. They even fought against each other in some battles. Such a justaposition of two famous Civil War brigades would have plenty of tension and drama.

Last edited on Fri Dec 29th, 2006 01:16 am by CleburneFan

You have chosen to ignore JDC Duncan. click Here to view this post

Current time is 04:10 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > Other Civil War Talk > Recommended battles to be portrayed in novels, or movies

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.5132 seconds (33% database + 67% PHP). 28 queries executed.