Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Great Civil War Commanders - Other People of the Civil War - The Participants of the War - Mikitary & Civilian - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Apr 4th, 2007 03:50 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Calcav, John Singleton Mosby was made a colonel on December 7, 1864. But I do agree with you that his experiences were very different from those of John Hunt Morgan, and its hard to compare the two.

Mosby commanded his own unit of partisans on his home turf. Morgan was colonel of the 2nd Kentucky Cavalry, raiding in Tennessee and Kentucky. After becoming a general, he raided into Indiana and Ohio, far from home. He later commanded the Department of Southwestern Virginia.

John Singleton Mosby Biography

Posted: Sat Aug 2nd, 2008 03:19 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

I think Grant has to get the nod here. However, I still cringe whenever I think of his losses during the Overland Campaign.

Posted: Mon Oct 29th, 2012 07:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
Darryl

Mana: 

I'm new on here and am enjoying many of these postings even if they are several years old. "widow" you have a first class mind when it comes to discussing these people. Bravo Ma'am! Cleburne Fan you too, I enjoy reading your pieces. you are right in your assessment of Parick cleburne. The South made a very grievous mistake not putting him in higher command. I would have given him command of the Army of the Tennessee. He may not have won, but damn what a run it would have been!
There is an anolgy about birds of prey in Clavell's book "Shogun." It fits several of the CW cavalry commanders and their styles. The high wing hawk will circle and wait on his prey. He is patient and develops a strategy to best take the victim. Stuart, Buford, and Sheridan. The low wing hawk is sent out when the prey is in sight and needs to be dispatched, Ashby, Forrest and Custer. Then brought back and hooded.
All are effective, but the commanding general must have the ability to utilize that talent. Grant and Lee both did.
true even the best commanders had their down days. Winfield Scott Hancock screwed up on the first day of the Wilderness royally. Even though he was called "Hancock the Superb."
As I've mentioned before I've been studying this war a very long time and reading these postings has helped enlighten me. Keep them up.

Current time is 03:36 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2124 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 26 queries executed.