Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > General Civil War Talk > Relic Hunting Contest!!!! What an outrage.

Relic Hunting Contest!!!! What an outrage. - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Mar 18th, 2007 12:46 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
2nd. LT. Chapman

Mana: 

I'll try and get a picture. It is really hard to make out but I think I can get it done and post it. BTW, I would NEVER put it in my pocket but i'm sure you were just being "humorus". In any case, if you really would like to see it, I can arrange that. I got in touch with the people who are the decendents of the regiment. They were very pleased to know I had found it.

Let me know if you are serious or just sarcastic.

D.J. Church was the sutler for the 105th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, here is a link: JDC Duncan wrote:

Sure would like to see that Token. Too bad it's in your pocket.

Attachment: DJChurch.jpg (Downloaded 50 times)

Last edited on Sun Mar 18th, 2007 01:04 am by 2nd. LT. Chapman

Posted: Sun Mar 18th, 2007 12:54 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
2nd. LT. Chapman

Mana: 

It's not, It's a campsite that was used by both sides. A four acre homesite that is still in use. It sit's on a hill and never was any kind of graveyard. The soldiers dropped stuff everywhere. There are minnies everywhere. The yankees were issued 20 every day and if you have ever held one you'll know, they are heavy. They threw them away everywhere. Confederate bullets are more rare. The buckles I have found are all equipment buckles from cavalry and other equipment. It's amazing how you try to make something into something it's not. That's ok though, I know what I do and why I do it and I know that it does indeed honor the men who served, even the invader, to find the things that they left behind, preserve, and display them. I can't speak for others but I have never sold anything I have found and never will. Neither will I ever give them away. I will at some point loan them to a museum. That way they can never sell them when they need funds.

I hope you will take the time to found your opinion on something other than emotion.

J

susansweet wrote:
I agree JDC , That and buckles and buttoms. hmm wouldn't those come off uniforms.  Sounds like grave robbing almost .   But then I am interested in honoring the fallen not digging up their possessions. 

You have chosen to ignore JDC Duncan. click Here to view this post

Posted: Sun Mar 18th, 2007 04:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
ole

Mana: 

I can see where Lt. Chapman is coming from. I see no harm nor foul. There's a vast difference between probing for relics on a battlefield and combing a private homesite that was dotted with latrines and tents and discards -- and will eventually be a parking lot or strip mall. If it was ever a hospital or significant HQ, I'd change my opinion. But it wasn't. It was just a stopover on movements from here to there and back again. The relics are common souvenirs and have no more relevance than the quarter you pick up in a parking lot.

Ole

You have chosen to ignore kingsleyke. click Here to view this post

You have chosen to ignore woyaochuan22qunzi. click Here to view this post

Current time is 08:50 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > General Civil War Talk > Relic Hunting Contest!!!! What an outrage.

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3403 seconds (14% database + 86% PHP). 32 queries executed.