Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

What are you reading these days? - Civil War Books - Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Dec 8th, 2006 12:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
41st Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Regarding the Varina Davis book, my better half tends to agree that this is well-worth reading. Her review can be found here.

Posted: Thu Dec 14th, 2006 02:58 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
42nd Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

[size=My current ACW library +/- ... everything else I borrow from the Library.  Gotta love interlibrary loan.  Now if only I can find a copy of Todd's Military Equipage.]

Archambault, Alan H., Black Soldiers in the Civil War, Bellerphon Books, 1995.

Archambault, Alan H., The Blue & Gray Civil War Mirth & Re-enacting, Bellerphon Books, 2001.

Archambault, Alan H., Billy Yank The Union Soldier in the Civil War, Bellerophon Books, 1995. Archambault, Alan H.,Children in the Civil War , Bellerphon Books, 2000.

Archambault, Alan H., Johnny Reb The Confederate Soldier in the Civil War, Bellerphon Books, 1994.

Archambault, Alan H., The Sketchbook of the Union Infantryman, Thomas Publications, 1999.

Archambault, Alan H., Women soldiers of the Union Army  in the Civil War, Bellerphon Books, 1998.

Ambrose, Stephen E.,Upton and the Army, Louisiana State University Press, 1964.

Andrews, C.C, Narrative of the Third Regiment, reprinted from Minnesota in the Civil War and Indian War, Park Genealogical Books.

Arnold, James R. Chickamauga 1863 The River of Death, Osprey Publishing, 1992.

Arnold, James R. Shiloh 1862 The Death of Innocence, Osprey Publishing, 1998.

Bacon, Benjamin W. Sinews of War, Presidio Press, 1997.

Barnard, George N.,  Photographic Views of Sherman’s Campaign, Dover Publications 1977.

Barney, William L., Flawed Victory A New Perspective on the Civil War, Praeger Publishers, 1975.

Barry, Craig L., The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy-Lock, Stock and Barrel,  Watchdog Press, 2006.

Bass, Cynthia, Sherman’s March, Villard Books, 1994.

Beatty, John The Citizen Soldier The Memoirs of a Civil War Volunteer, Bison Books 1998.

Benet, Stephen Vincent, John Brown’s Body, Rinehart & Company, Inc., 1941.

Bierce, Ambrose, Civil War Stories, Dover Publications, 1994.

Billings, John D, Hard Tack and Coffee, Konecky & Konecky, 1888.

Bishop, Judson, Narrative of the Second Regiment, reprinted from Minnesota in the Civil War and Indian War, Park Genealogical Books.

Bishop, Judson W., The Story of a Regiment, North Star Press, 2000.

Boyd, Cyrus F. The Civil War Diary of Cyrus F. Boyd, LSU Press 1953.

Brown, Alonzo, Narrative of the Fourth Regiment, reprinted from Minnesota in the Civil War and Indian War, Park Genealogical Books.

Burgess, Lauren Cook, An Uncommon Soldier, Oxford University Press, 1994.

Coburn, Mark, Terrible Innocence General Sherman At War, Hippocrene Books, 1993.

Canon, Jill, Civil War Heroines, Bellerophon Books, 1995.

Commanager, Henry Steele, Living History The Civil War, Tess Press, 2000.

Carley, Kenneth, Minnesota in the Civil War, Ross & Haines, 1961.

Carson, Ray M., The Civil War Soldier A Photographic Journey, Stackpole Books, 2001.

Carter, Smuel, The Siege of Atlanta, 1864, Bonanza Books.

Castle Books, The Civil War Book of Lists, Castle Books, 1994.

Catton, Bruce, Picture History of The Civil War, American Heritage, 1960.

Cheek, William F., Black Resistance Before the Civil War, Glencoe Press, 1970.

Cist, Henry M., Campaigns of the Civil War.-VII. The Army of the Cumberland, Castle Books, 2002.

Coates, Earl J. & McAulay, John D., Civil War Sharps Carbines & Rifles, Thomas Publications, 1996.

Coates, Earl J. & Thomas, Dean S., An Introduction to Civil War Small Arms, Thomas Publications, 1990

Coggins, Jack, Arms and Equipment of the Civil War, Bradfoot Publishing, 1962.

Commager, Henry Steele, Living History The Civil War, Bobbs Merril, 1950.

Convis, Charles L., Soldiers, Pioneer Press, 1996.

Coombe, Jack D., Thunder Along the Mississippi, Bantam Books, 1998.

Cozzens, Peter, This Terrible Sound, University of Illinois Press, 1992.

Cox, Jacob D., Campaigns of the Civil War.-IX. Atlanta, Castle Books, 2002.

Cox, Jacob D., Campaigns of the Civil War.-X. The March to the Sea-Franklin and Nashville, Castle Books, 2002.

Dal Bello, Dominic J., Parade, Inspection and Basic Evolutions of the Infantry Battalion, Dominic J. Dal Bello, 1998.

Davis, William C., & Wiley Bell L., Civil War A Complete Photographic History, Tess Press, 2000.

Davis, William C., The Civil War Reenactors' Encyclopedia, Lyons Press, 2002.

Davis, William C., Wiley, Bell L., Civil War A Complete Photographic History, Tess Press,  2000.

Desjardin, Thomas A. These Honored Dead, Da Capo Press, 2003.

Engle, Stephen D., The American Civil War, the War in the West 1861-July 1863, Osprey Publishing, 2001.

England, Otis Bryan, A Short History of the Rock Island Prison Barracks, Historical Office US Army, 1985.

Edwards, William B., Civil War Guns, The Stackpole Company, 1962.

Federal Writers Project, Alabama Slave Narratives, 1936-38.

Fogel, Robert William & Engerman, Stanley L., Time on the Cross the Economics of American Negro Slavery, Little Brown & Company, 1974.

Fuller, Claud E., The Rifled Musket, The Stackpole Company, 1958.

Fuller, Claud E., Springfield Shoulder Arms 1795-1865, S&S Firearms, 1986.

Gates, Paul W., Agriculture and the Civil War, Borzoi Book, 1962.

Glatthaar, Joseph T., The American Civil War, The war in the West 1863-1865, Osprey Publishing, 2001.

Glatthaar, Joseph T., Forged in Battle The Civil War Alliance of Black Soldiers and White Officers, The Free Press, 1990.

Griffith, Paddy, Battle In the Civil War Generalship and Tactics in America 1861-65, Fieldbooks, 1986.

Greene Francis V., Campaigns of the Civil War.-VIII. The Mississippi, Castle Books, 2002.

Grehl, Jerry, Casey’s for Reenactors, Hardtack Publishing Co.,1998.

Government Printing Office, Revised US Army Regulations 1863, Government Printing Office, 1863.

Hardee, W.J., Rifle and Light Infantry Tactics, J.O. Kane, 1862.

Heidler, David S. & Jeanne, Encyclopedia of the American Civil War A Political, Social & Military History, W.W. Norton & Company, 2000.

Heitman, Don & Tutle Peter, Heitman’s Simplified Hardee’s & Skirmish Drill, Regimental Guard Mount, Vlunteer Publishing, 1990.

Hitchcock, Henry, Marching with Sherman, University of Nebraska Press, 1995.

Houze, Herbert G., Colt Rifles & Muskets from 1847-1870, Krause Publications, 1996.

Johnson, Mark W. That Body of Brave Men, Da Capo Press, 2003.

Johnson, Rossister, Campfires and Battlefields, Civil War Press, 1967.

Jones, James Pickett, Blackjack John A. Logan and Southern Illinois in the Civil War Era, Florida State University, 1967.

Katcher, Phillip, Great Gambles of the Civil War, Castle Books, 2003.

Katcher, Philip, Sharpshooters of the American Civil War 1861-65, Osprey Publishing, 2002.

Katcher, Philip, US Cavalry on the Plains 1850-90, Osprey Publishing, 1985.

Kautz, August V. The 1865 Customs of Service for Non-Commissioned Officers & Soldiers, Stackpole Books, 2001.

Langellier, John P., Terrible Swift Sword Union Artillery, Cavalry and Infantry, 1861-1865, Stackpole Books, 2000.

Langellier, John & White, John, Union Infantryman 1861-65, Osprey Publishing, 2001.

Mahan, D.H., Out-Post, US Military Academy, 1861

McAfee, Michael J., Zouaves The First and The Bravest, Thomas Publications, 1991.

McAulay, John D., Rifles of the U.S. Army 1861-1906, Andrew Mowbray Publishers, 2003.

McDonough, James Lee, Stones River-Bloody Winter in Tennessee, University of Tennessee Press, 1980. McDonough, James Lee & Connelly, Thomas L., Five Tragic Hours The Battle of Franklin, University of Tennessee Press, 1983.

McPherson, James M., Battle Cry of Freedom, Oxford University Press, 1988.

McPherson, James M., Hallowed Ground, Crown Journeys, 2003.

McPherson, James M., Marching Toward Freedom, Facts on File, Inc,1991.

Meltzer, Milton, In Their Own Words A History of the American Negro 1619-1865, Thomas Y. Crowell Company, 1964.

Miller, David, The illustrated Directory of Uniforms, Weapons, and Equipment of the Civil War,  MBI Publishing, 2001.

Newton, Steven H. Lost for the Cause the Confederate Army of 1864, Savas Publishing Company, 2000.

Phillips, David, Maps of the Civil War The Roads They Took, Metro Books, 1998.

Phisterer, Frederick, Campaigns of the Civil War Supplementary Volume Statistical Record of the Armies of the United States, Castle Books, 2002.

Rawley, James A., The Politics of Union, Dryden Press, 1974.

Reilly, Robert M., United States Military Small Arms 1816-1865, Eagle Press, 1970.

Rhodes, Elisha Hunt, All for the Union, Orion Books, 1985.

Rose, Willie Lee, Rehearsal for Reconstruction The Port Royal Experiment, Vintage Books, 1967.

Rosholt, Jerry, Ole Goes to War Men from Norway Who Fought in America’s Civil War, Vesterheim Norwegian-American Museum, 2003.

Selby, John, The Iron Brigade, Osprey Publishing, 1971.

Sherman, William T., Memoirs of William T Sherman, DeCapo Press1984.

Smith, Carl, Gettysburg 1863 High Tide of the Confederacy, Osprey Publishing, 1998.

Smith, Graham, Civil War Weapons, KP Books, 2005.

Smith, Robin & Field, Ron, Uniforms of the Civil War,Lyons Press, 2001.

Sparks, David S., Inside Lincoln’s Army, Thomas Yoseloff, 1964.

Spencer, Samuel R. Jr., Booker T. Washington and the Negro’s Place in American Life, Little, Brown & Co, 1955.

Stevens, Harriet, The Graybeards, Camp Pope Bookshop, 1998.

Sword, Wiley, Firepower from Abroad The Confederate Enfield and the LeMat Revolver, Andrew Mowbray Inc., 1986.

Sword, Wiley, Mountains Touched With Fire, St Martins Press, 1995.

Sword, Wiley, Sharpshooter: Hiram Berdan, his famous Sharpshooters and their Sharps Rifles, Andrew Mowbray Inc., 1988.

Synnestvedt, Sig, The White Response to Black Emancipation, Macmillon Company, 1972.

Troiani, Don, Don Troiani’s Civil War, Stackpole Books, 1995.

Troiani, Don, Regiments & Uniforms of the Civil War, Stackpole Books, 2002.

Troiani, Don, Soldiers in America 1754-1865, Stackpole Books, 1998.

Trudeau, Noah Andre, Like Men of War, Little Brown & Company, 1998.

Thomas, Dean S., Cannons An Introduction to Civil War Artillery, Thomas Publications, 1994.

Tucker, Glenn, The Battle of Chickamauga, Eastern Acorn Press, 1969.

Tucker, Glenn, The Battle of Chattanooga, Eastern Acorn Press, 1971.

Watkins, Sam R., “Co Aytch” A Side Show of the Big Show, 1962.

Wert, Jeffry D., A Brotherhood of Valor: the Common Soldiers of the Stonewall Brigade, C.S.A., and the Iron Brigade, U.S.A., Simon & Schuster, 1999.

Whisker, James A., Hartzler, Daniel D. & Yantz, Larry W., Firearms from Europe, Tom Rowe Books, 2002.

Wiley, Bell Irvin, The Life of Billy Yank, Louisiana State University Press, 1978.

Wiley, Bell Irvin, The Life of Johnny Reb, Louisiana State University Press, 1978.

Wills, Brian Steele, A Battle From The Start The Life of Nathan Bedford Forrest, Harper Collins, 1992.

Williams, Kenneth P., Grant Rises in the West, MacMillon Company, 1956.

Woodward, C. Vann, The Strange Career of Jim Crow, Oxford University Press, 1974.

Woodworth, Steven E., Nothing but Victory The Army of the Tennessee, Knoph, 2005.

Zimmermann, Richard J., Unit Organizations of the American Civil War, RAFM Co. Inc., 1982.

Posted: Fri Dec 15th, 2006 02:50 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
43rd Post
Widow

Mana: 

Johan, I am impressed!

Um, you already had that list typed and sorted by authors' names, I think?  At first I thought it was going to be list of your current reading, but it's your library and list of books read.

Your range of interests is both wide and deep, with several reference works about weapons, etc.

My reading is all over the place too, but with no particular purpose other than to scratch that old curiosity itch.

Patty

Posted: Fri Dec 15th, 2006 03:54 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
44th Post
Widow

Mana: 

Two days ago I started Nothing Like It in the World: The Men Who Built the Transcontinental Railroad 1863-1869.  Written in 2000 by Stephen E. Ambrose, it has my full attention.  Another title could have been The Civil War: The Sequel.

In all my reading about the Civil War, the years preceding and following it, I have seen NO mention of the stupendous undertaking that went on while the war was being fought.  How could such an important topic be ignored when discussing the social and economic transformation of our nation during those years?

So many of the men involved in starting the project were of course caught up in the war.  The first on the list was Abraham Lincoln, an early and avid backer of "internal improvements" both in Illinois and later in the nation as a whole.  I think today we call them infrastructure.

On each page there are names whom I recognize from my Civil War reading, "I know who he was!  He did X or Y in the war!"

After the war, there were thousands of men who'd learned how to organize and manage huge projects, the finances, supplies, personnel, security, transportation, communication, medical care, everything that is needed to run an army is exactly what you need to build a railroad.

And there even more thousands of young veterans, blue and gray, who couldn't or wouldn't rebuild their lives back at home.  The railroad was eager to hire, and they were eager to work.  No marching, no camping in the snow, and plenty of good food, delivered on time.  Just a lot of really hard work.  Nobody shooting at you, either, except the Sioux and Cheyenne.

Another reason this book fascinates me: my home town, Laramie, was built in 1867 when the Union Pacific came through southeastern Wyoming.  Ambrose mentions places that I'm so very familiar with.  A tree that appears to grow out of solid rock - I've climbed the rock and put my hand on the tree.  Lodgepole Creek - Dad's house was right on the creek, we had to cross it to get to the road.

Dad was a switchman in the Laramie yards, back when steam locomotives were still used.  They were smelly and polluted the air, the cinders got in your eyes and the soot settled on everything, including your wash hanging on the line.  But we loved them.

When I was a little girl, Dad let me ride in the cab of a switch engine, and the engineer let me open the throttle to make it move.  I rang the bell and blew the whistle, too.  All in total violation of company rules.  Still one of the most thrilling moments of my life.

Nobody loved the diesels, they have no personality.  Those screaming turbines make you crazy.

Next on my list: The Battle of Spotsylvania and the Road to Yellow Tavern, the second of Gordon Rhea's quadrilogy about the Overland Campaign.

Patty

long-long-short-long

The whistle signal that the train is approaching a road crossing.  It's still used today.

Posted: Fri Dec 15th, 2006 05:08 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
45th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Patty I am sooooo jealous .  I am so addicted to trains and would love to have done what you did as a child.  How cool.  I am going to have to read this book.  Thanks for the review.   

I just finished Black Flag.  the story of the  Civil War in Missouri.  what a bloody awful war there.  Most of the books are excerpts from Journals of people that experience the events .  I never realized how bad it was.  Both sides did horrible things to civilians and soldiers alike . 

Next book Is For Love and Liberty about Sullivan Balou.  Robin Young is our speaker in January for Round Table so I need to have read  the book before she speaks. 

Posted: Fri Dec 15th, 2006 11:52 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
46th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Widow wrote: Johan, I am impressed!

Um, you already had that list typed and sorted by authors' names, I think?  At first I thought it was going to be list of your current reading, but it's your library and list of books read.

Your range of interests is both wide and deep, with several reference works about weapons, etc.

My reading is all over the place too, but with no particular purpose other than to scratch that old curiosity itch.

Patty

My father was a gunsmith for 20 odd years then switched to Blacksmith n Welding when I was 10 or so.  I grew up with the smell of gun oil and woodsmoke being that scent of home.  So I have a natural interest in the arms of the period... plus they are so much more artistic than the hunks of steel and plastic of modern armies.  My wife also tells me my taste is all over the place... great minds think alike?

You also mentioned Stephen Ambrose... look to his biography of Upton.  I blame Ambrose for getting me hooked on the man.  And his parallel biographies of Crazy Horse and Custer is increadible.

Posted: Fri Dec 15th, 2006 01:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
47th Post
46th Georgia

Mana: 

Good morning,

I am currently reading "The Alabama and the Kearsarge: The Sailors's Civil War" by William Marvel and "Sea of Grey: The Around-the-World Odyssey of the Confederate Raider Shenandoah" by Tom Chaffin.  

Will Barnes

Posted: Thu Oct 1st, 2009 08:57 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
48th Post
IrishBrigade

Mana: 

Not a civil war book but am currently reading Jeff Shaara's "Gone for soldiers" about the war with Mexico, centering around a young Captain Robert E. Lee and a supporting cast of Grant, Jackson & other acw veterans. I like Shaara's work and style even though there's a few disparaging remarks about him on the forum. I like the way each chapter revolves around a certain person's viewpoint, his maps are usually pretty good and easy to follow.

I'm also reading "The Gettysburg companion" by Mark Adkins. It's excellant so far and the level of detail and research is staggering.

I think I'll get something by Stephen Sears for my next book. I'm at the stage where I've done the more broad book on the ACW and want to get stuck into specifics in Battles and personalities.

Please feel free to recommend.

Posted: Thu Oct 1st, 2009 11:46 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
49th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Hello, IrishBrigade!

I've read most of Sears' books. I'd recommend Gettysburg, since you're reading The Gettysburg Companion. Landscape Turned Red:Antietam is also good. And Chancellorsville is one of my favorites, but I have an ancestor who fought there, so I did a lot of research on the battle.

Welcome to the board!

Pam

Posted: Fri Oct 2nd, 2009 08:39 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
50th Post
IrishBrigade

Mana: 

Yes I think something on Chancellorsville could be good allright, there's a lot of myths about the battle and definitely wasn't done justice by God's & Generals.

Posted: Sun Nov 22nd, 2009 05:35 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
51st Post
cwnut

Mana: 

I am now reading "Annals Of the War" published by Morningside House.

It is a collection of articles published in the Philadelphia Weekly Times in the 1870's.

Well worth reading.

Posted: Tue Nov 24th, 2009 10:16 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
52nd Post
Unionblue

Mana: 

Just started reading John Brown's Trial, by Brian McGinty.

Already gave some interesting facts I had not seen before concerning the attack at Harper's Ferry and the US Marines retaking the arsenal.

Sincerely,

Unionblue

Posted: Tue Nov 24th, 2009 07:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
53rd Post
cwnut

Mana: 

Sounds good. I know they did a review of this book on Book-TV about 2 weeks ago, but unfortunately I missed it.

Posted: Tue Nov 24th, 2009 10:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
54th Post
ole

Mana: 

You can see it by going to booktv.org and doing a search for Brian McGinty.

Posted: Tue Nov 24th, 2009 11:34 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
55th Post
cwnut

Mana: 

Thanks

Posted: Mon Apr 19th, 2010 09:18 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
56th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

current reading/ re-reading/ purchased for Summer ACW road trip booklist.

1."Antietam, South Mountain, and Harpers Ferry: A Battlefield Guide (This Hallowed Ground: Guides to Civil War)"

2."Gettysburg--The First Day"Harry W. Pfanz

3. Gettysburg--The Second Day"Harry W. Pfanz

4. Gettysburg--Culp's Hill and Cemetery Hill"Harry W. Pfanz

5. "THE COMPLETE GETTYSBURG GUIDE: Walking and Driving Tours of the Battlefield, Town, Cemeteries, Field Hospital Sites, and other Topics of Historical Interest"J. David Petruzzi

6. Battle at Bull Run: A History of the First Major Campaign of the Civil War. William C. Davis

7. Return to Bull Run: The Campaign and Battle of Second Manassas. John J. Hennessy

8. Wilson's Creek: The Second Battle of the Civil War and the Men Who Fought It. William Garrett Piston

9. Back Door to Richmond: The Bermuda Hundred Campaign, April-June 1864. William Glenn Robertson

10. Landscape Turned Red: The Battle of Antietam. Stephen W. Sears

11. Gettysburg Requiem: The Life and Lost Causes of Confederate Colonel William C. Oates. Glenn W. LaFantasie

12. Picket's Charge: A Micro history of The Final Attack at Gettysburg, July 3, 1863. George R. Stewart

I'm about half way through this list, I'm a slow, methodical reader, and I have six weeks to finish including all three Pfanz books....it's gonna be close;)

Last edited on Mon Apr 19th, 2010 09:20 pm by Captain Crow

Posted: Tue Apr 20th, 2010 07:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
57th Post
barrydancer

Mana: 

Other than working my way through Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series for the third time, I'm re-reading Moxley Sorrel's At the Right Hand of Longstreet and waiting for my copy of Buff Facings and Gilt Buttons:  Staff and Headquarters Operations in the Army of Northern Virgina, 1861-1865 by J. Boone Bartholomees.  All in preparation for beginning a career portraying Moxley Sorrel at this year's Gettysburg reenactment and other events.

Posted: Fri May 7th, 2010 09:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
58th Post
Notch
Neutral Revisionist

Mana: 

Reading "Civil War on the Missouri-Kansas Border" by Donald Gilmore.

So far, I will say it is an excellnt read, and one I would recommend. What stands out most is his openess about looking at the events from a strictly neutral viewpoint. Many will say it is revisonist in anture, but I for one and a believer in revisionist history.

Anyway, so far it it really is a good read.

Current time is 06:28 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3697 seconds (7% database + 93% PHP). 27 queries executed.