Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Confederate Flags and Schools - Other Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Dec 16th, 2006 06:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
26th N.C

Mana: 

My school in Western N.Y recently banned the Confederate Battle Flag from being worn on clothing or on a vehicle while on school grounds. Personally, I don't agree with this because of things such as the historical background of the flag. However, my school has no rule against the big long chains that some kids feel the need to wear on their baggy, black pants. The reason this bothers me is because the Confederate cannot inflict the physical injury that the chains could! If you are going to ban a flag, why not ban things such as chains that could be used as a weapon?!?

What are your thoughts on the banning of Confederate Flags in shools?

Posted: Sat Dec 16th, 2006 07:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
ole

Mana: 

26th:

I assume you're talking high school here? Too much heat is generated by that symbol -- heat that can only disrupt the reason for being a school in the first place. Chains might be useful in a scuffle, but they don't start the scuffle. Fly the flag in your yard or your room. Put stickers on a car that won't be parked at the school. Start a confederate study group. In a very short time, resurrect your t-shirt and wear it on campus where you're more likely to get dirty looks and rude remarks without the resulting scuffle -- where you're more likely to get a chance to explain what the flag means to you.

Ole

Last edited on Sat Dec 16th, 2006 07:09 pm by ole

Posted: Sat Dec 16th, 2006 07:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
26th N.C

Mana: 

Thanks for the reply ole, I never thought of it that way.

Last edited on Sat Dec 16th, 2006 07:47 pm by 26th N.C

Posted: Sat Dec 16th, 2006 08:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
calcav

Mana: 

26th:

Those that wish to fly the Confederate flag for historical or patriotic reasons should treat it with the same respect as did those that fought under it. To my knowledge there was no code written by the Confederate government for the proper flying and respect of the flag but I am sure such guidelines would mirror those that govern the handleing and care followed with the flag of the United States.

Section 8d states that the flag should never be used as apparel.

The code for the U.S. flag can be found at:

http://www.suvcw.org/flag.htm

Posted: Sun Dec 17th, 2006 03:35 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
ole

Mana: 

Thanks for adding to the discussion, calcav. If one respects and honors a symbol, one ought to treat respectfully and honorably. And, for 26th NC, there's not much point in initiating a "discussion" with those who will not listen.

Ole

Posted: Sun Dec 17th, 2006 02:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Johnny Huma
Johnny Huma

Mana: 

I have run into the same type of comments while flying a confederate flag.

For over 12 years I played in a band which mostly done southern rock..We flew the Stars and Bars on the front of our keyboard..We live in Pa...Over a 12 year period we may have had 3 people who questioned why we flew it..One who did question it was a young lad about 18 years of age with purple hair...He asked me "Hey man what's up with the flag"...I responded with "Hey man whats up with your hair"..He informed me that this flag was a hate flag because that is how he viewed it...I asked him how much he knew about the Civil War in which he replied "Nothing man"...I told him to do some studying up on it and he may understand that we were not flying it as a hate banner but as a tribute banner for the Southern men who lost their lives under it and also to recognize the music we played was classed as Southern Rock and it was a symbol of what type of music we played..He responded with "Ok man I'll check it out"..

So what youre up against is how people view this flag because the KKK has used it as a hate symbol and thus it has been shown on TV many times affiliated with them.

Hence we had this logo on our band shirts and jackets...Once when entering a Wall Mart and wearing this symbol a little afro American boy asked his dad while pointing to the flag on our jackets "Daddy what is that?"..His response to him was "That's a bunch of brave men son?" So you see he viewed it the same way and reason being

I am sure he knows the KKK use it as a hate symbol...It is hard to educate people who do not engage in reading Civil War History as to what this flag is or was..So anywhere you where the logo you will run into many people as seeing you as a "Rebel" and one who does not conform to the institution..

I have many pieces of clothing with the Reb Flag on it...I still where a hat that has it on and I deal with the public everyday...I have never been questioned as to why I wear it..But if you wear it and tell of the History about it, if asked, people will view what you think in a different manner..I don't suggest doing this just for the purpose

of trying to tell everybody what you know about History as their are still a great percentage of folks that have a negative feeling about it and it will no doubt bring you more headaches than you want to deal with..

Rather then displaying it on your shirt I agree with trying to start a Civil War study group in your school..It really could be a  lot of fun and a great learning expierence for your teachers and students alike..Study on the hardships of the war and the issues that were going on at that time..Maybe you can spark a lot of intrest amoung your school and have a Civil War day where all can dress in a period fashion if they want..There are a lot of things that can be done here on that subject..And for yourself you will be looked at in a whole different manner no matter what flag you are wearing, your teachers and students alike will now look at you as someone who

enabled a program for them to all learn and understand more about our past..

Good Luck

Huma

Posted: Thu Dec 21st, 2006 01:24 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Widow

Mana: 

Some nice ideas, there, Huma.

I didn't understand the meaning of the Confederate Battle Flag because I hadn't studied the Civil War.  Whenever I saw the flag, I thought, "Boy, don't they know the war is over and they lost?"  Silently sneering at them safely inside my car.

Now I know better.  No sneering here.  Just admiration and honor.

For both sides.

Patty

Posted: Fri Dec 22nd, 2006 12:45 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
26th N.C

Mana: 

calcav wrote: 26th:

Those that wish to fly the Confederate flag for historical or patriotic reasons should treat it with the same respect as did those that fought under it. To my knowledge there was no code written by the Confederate government for the proper flying and respect of the flag but I am sure such guidelines would mirror those that govern the handleing and care followed with the flag of the United States.

Section 8d states that the flag should never be used as apparel.

The code for the U.S. flag can be found at:

http://www.suvcw.org/flag.htm

Just to clarify, I meant that the image of the Confederate flag cannot be on clothing at school. I wasn't refering to wearing the flag itself as clothing.

Posted: Fri Dec 22nd, 2006 02:12 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Johnny Huma
Johnny Huma

Mana: 

26th,

Yes we realize that was what you were talking about. Again I can understand the schools stance on this issue..Not saying it is right but like I said before people view it as the one wearing it on a piece of garment or likewise is himself in rebellion or is rebelous and one who does not conform..The school is trying to nip it in the bud since it must also view it as a hate symbol used by the KKK..

If in fact you are wearing it for that reason then dont do it...

If you are wearing it because you enjoy Civil War History then make your teachers aware of why you were wearing it..Ask your History teacher to help you organize a Civil War awareness week..Tell them it could really be a great study tool having students in the class select a Civil War figure and studying up on that person and what they accomplished or what scandels they were about..What battles they fought in..How they died..Give each student a month to research their character and then have a Civil War Ball...A party in the Gym with these Characters (STUDENTS AND TEACHERS ALIKE) coming in to the dance in some kind of period dresss that does not cost a fortune. You can buy CD's with Civil War Music on them and even if you all dont know how they danced back then just give it a go of anything...After all it is about educating the young people on the Civil War and most of these students will never read anything on it at all or in any depth...During the get together in the Gym...Have everyone announce who they are and what they did and where they fought and any knowledge they have learned in thier research..Have fun with it...

After all of this start a Civil War study group dedicated to the learning of Civil War History for all students who wish to participate..Have debates over the issues of that time period. You are only limited to your imaginations...

All will come out ahead..Teachers and students alike....And as I said before some may even change their minds about how they view the flag...If you are confronted with this "That is a rebel flag and it will only promote rebellion"...That may be true...

But remind your teachers that our American Flag was also a flag of Rebellion..

Dont forget to make sure your teachers play a major roll in what is happening.

See where History can take you....

Huma

You have chosen to ignore JDC Duncan. click Here to view this post

Current time is 12:36 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3479 seconds (7% database + 93% PHP). 28 queries executed.