Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Gettysburgh photos - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Dec 23rd, 2006 02:22 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Sharon

Mana: 

HI!!  I am a new member to this site.  My sister is Regina and she is a member.  I just wanted to post a question that maybe someone would be able to help us with.  Regina took a photo at Oak Ridge at the Gettysburgh NP and there is a definite "ghost" in the picture.  She even enlarged it and you can make out a civil war soldier very clearly.  I have showed it to many people and now I need to find a way to show it to a historian or someone that would be interested.  I tried to email Mark Nesbitt from Gettysburgh who writes books on the "ghosts of Gettysburgh" but my email doesn't seem to go through.  I just sent an email to the Gettysburgh National Park Visitor center website and hope to hear from them.  Any other suggestions?

You have chosen to ignore JDC Duncan. click Here to view this post

Posted: Sat Dec 23rd, 2006 01:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
LTBunten

Mana: 

Sharon,

Just a little side note-- Unlike my humble hometown, there is no h at the end of Gettysburg.

Happy Holidays to All,

Paula

Posted: Sat Dec 23rd, 2006 11:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Regina

Mana: 

Hi Sharon, Hi all !!   About the photo--This past October, having a 3-day weekend for Columbus Day, I took my nephew to Gettysburg.  He wanted to see the battlefield since he was at my house one day when I was watching the movie "Gettysburg".  More than anything, he wanted to see cannons, so Sunday morning at about 9:00, I bought breakfast for both of us and drove up to the Peace Light Memorial for a "picnic".  It was nice out--jacket weather--and we had the place to ourselves.  He ran around the cannons as I sipped coffee and took some pictures for him.  Something showed up on one of the photos (taken with one of those throw-away cameras) that's hard to describe except to say it's like a little gray cloudy spot.  I knew for sure there was nothing there when I took the pictures and never had anything like it show up on a picture before.  I looked at it with a magnifying glass and I swear it is the exact likeness of a Confederate soldier with a rifle, running.  I have never believed in "ghosts", but everyone who sees the picture is fascinated.  Sadly, I don't have a scanner to put the picture on the internet, and I'm not sure if my sister has one, either.  I have copied the photo, and enlarged it, and she has copies.  If she can, I'm sure she will get it online somehow.  I also had something else happen to me near that area of the battlefield.  I stayed at an inn on the battlefield this past July 1, 2, and 3.  The inn is across the street from Iverson's Pit and I was walking around the night of July 1 at about 10:30 pm because in a book I was reading that day by James McPherson ("Hallowed Ground" I think it was called), mentioned that people have seen ghosts.  I'm a true skeptic but I walked around admiring the battlefield at night with thousands of fireflies when I felt air that was so cold I would describe it as "arctic" just around my legs.  I stopped, stunned, and felt no breeze at all--the air was still, and obviously, very warm.  Then the icy air went around my arm.  I didn't like what was happening because I was alone so I went into the inn and started to get ready to sleep.  For no reason my nose started bleeding--something I've never had happen before in my life--I had not sneezed or bumped it--nothing to explain it.  For weeks afterward other strange things happened whenever I was near electrical things and a man's muffled voice came out of my stereo speaker right when I was telling a friend about what had happened that night on the battlefield--she also heard the voice--it made the noise 3 times--and the stereo was "off".  Anyway, I'm not sure what I think about all this, actually I don't really think of it too often. 

Posted: Sun Dec 24th, 2006 12:19 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Johnny Huma
Johnny Huma

Mana: 

Regina,

First get rid of the TV set..:)...Some 3 years ago we were in Gettysburg on a ghost walking tour when the guide had pointed to an area on the street with her emf meter saying there was a lot of activity there..Like everyone else I took pictures but really did not look at them till we were home the next day. On one of the pictures was a distored ungodly looking creature and also orbs all around it..I sent it by e-mail to the people we were in the Burg with that evening asking what in the heck they thought that was...We were all awe struck by it. So clear so unhuman looking...

My niece studing the picture said dont look at the ugly thing look down lower on the steps of the building...She said I see a Union soldier sitting on the steps..As I studied the picture furter I could in fact see the outline and some detail of what looked like a Union Soldier sitting on the steps...We went back down and studied the area..The ungodly looking creature was acutally the sign of Dinos pizza somewhat distorted and we all had a good laugh...But the soldier we could not explain away...

Another time I was at the Burg one of my other nieces was taking pictures all over the place hoping to catch something with her new camera..Well she never did get anything but.....While trying to take a picture of the Culps Farm the camera would not work at all...This camera was working all day...soon as we got about a block away from the farm it started working again...We were on  a horse carriage ride at the time. After the ride we went back and pulled right up in the driveway with me on the camera button this time..The camera refused to work again and again...We drove away and again a block away the camera worked fine again...Just a little wierd...

You may have captured something there would love to see it...But Get rid of the TV set..:)

Huma

Posted: Sun Dec 24th, 2006 12:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Sharon

Mana: 

sorry about the the incorrect spelling.  I kept typing it knowing it was wrong.  will be more careful.  Thanks:)

Posted: Sun Dec 24th, 2006 12:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Sharon

Mana: 

I do not have a photo scanner to put them on line but we did copy the photo and enlarge it so I could mail it to anyone if they would like to see it.  One of my co-workers who happens to live in Sharpsburg Maryland copied the picture on our copier at work in black and white and the image stands out even greater.  It is amazing.  Thanks for your reply and I hope to hear something from Gettysburg NP.  \

Sharon

Posted: Sun Dec 24th, 2006 05:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Homeschool_Teen_02

Mana: 

Ms. Reginas sister,

What you described i have never seen so i thought that your "article" was very interesting.  I have always wondered if ghosts were just demons or if they were made up "people".  My mom always said that they were demons.  But at our church, which is a historical place since it was used as a hospital when sherman marched through Georigia, some weird things sometimes happen.  Sometimes while ill be sitting in our pew ill get this chill that goes through my body.  Ive never told anyone about this for fear that they might think that im crazy.  But one time someone said that there was a strange noise right next to the church.  So we walked out but it turned out that the gutter had come loose.  So we went on with our night.  But thanks for posting this "arcticle" because it gave me a thrill.

Homie boy 

Posted: Wed Dec 27th, 2006 01:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Widow

Mana: 

Regina,

You told us of a series of strange events that seemed to start with the ghost photo.  Like you, I'm also a skeptic.

Just because B happens after A, it doesn't necessarily mean that A caused B to occur.  Quite possibly the chilly air, the nosebleed and the weird stereo sounds would have happened anyway.

Still, it's fun to contemplate, even if not seriously.

Patty

Posted: Thu Dec 28th, 2006 01:07 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Regina

Mana: 

Widow, actually I had the "chilly-air-nosebleed-encounter" first, in July.  Then, I was back in October and took pictures that showed up with something on one of them.  The photo was not taken at the spot of the "encounter" I had.  Anyway, I'm still a skeptic but admit that there's a lot I don't know about and anything's possible, I guess.

Current time is 05:31 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3410 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 27 queries executed.