Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Amusing comments by the soldiers - Other People of the Civil War - The Participants of the War - Mikitary & Civilian - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Jun 20th, 2007 01:47 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
41st Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Pvt. Clewell wrote:

Don't think so. Not unless you were that crazy person who sat next to me on the bus ride to Second Manassas about 10 years ago, talked incessantly and spilled water all over me

No, I was sitting five seats behind you, with the guy who had the big ol' bottle in the brown paper bag....didn't talked much, but "spewed" a lot....

OK, Pvt. Clewell, it seems we've never meet.  However, we are now guilty of "hijacking" a thread together.

Prepare to be punished....

Don't worry, I've been thru it before:  just keep your head up, look sincere and innocent,  point your finger at me, and yell:   "It's all  HER fault!   Will someone PLEASE reconstruct her?"

Then, promise Joe/Javal1  that you will never let me lead you into hi-jacking a thread again.

Sincerely,

Joanie

Last edited on Wed Jun 20th, 2007 02:10 pm by JoanieReb

Posted: Wed Jun 20th, 2007 02:07 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
42nd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Posted: Fri Dec 28th, 2012 02:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
43rd Post
pender

Mana: 

D.H. Hill being extremely sarcastic on an application from a member of a band for a furlough replied:"Respectfully forwarded, disapproved...shooters before tooters."

Posted: Fri Dec 28th, 2012 03:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
44th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Pender-

Maybe you'll like this one:

"Fast riding in the wrong direction is not military, but is sometimes healthy."

- D.H. Hill (1862)

Posted: Fri Dec 28th, 2012 05:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
45th Post
pender

Mana: 

Texas Defender wrote: Pender-

Maybe you'll like this one:

"Fast riding in the wrong direction is not military, but is sometimes healthy."

- D.H. Hill (1862)

Good one TD!!!:D

Posted: Tue Jan 1st, 2013 03:05 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
46th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

To tell the truth, I just lost confidence in Joe Hooker
Major General Joe Hooker

Yeah, I find that one funny because of who said it.

Posted: Wed Jan 2nd, 2013 02:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
47th Post
pender

Mana: 

I had read this awhile back. It comes from William Thomas Poague's book, "Gunner with Stonewall." I found it very amusing!

About 1 P.M. some officers of my battalion called my attention to the movement of a column far off to our right-perhaps three to four miles-but no one could tell who they were or even in what direction it was moving, simply the glistening of gun barrels over a dark mass for a distance of apparently two or three hundred yards. I at once sent an officer to report the fact to General Lee, who was not far from my position. I was at once sent for and questioned in a way I can never forget.

"Major," he said, "you have sent some rather vague information about a body of troops somewhere. Please tell me all you know about it." (Note the Q (question) and A (answer) form the following.):

A. "All I know is that a column of infantry, as well as I could make out, is in motion far to our right." 

Q."What troops are they, the enemy's or ours?" A. " I don't know; it is impossible to tell."      

Q. "In what direction are they movig?" A. "I couldn't tell; their course is directly to or from us."

Q. "On what road are they?" A. "That I do not know."

Q. "Well, Major, what do you know?" A. "Only what I reported."                                                                                                                   

Posted: Thu Jan 3rd, 2013 09:32 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
48th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

If it had been Jackson instead of Lee I wonder how well that would have gone over.

Posted: Thu Jan 3rd, 2013 06:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
49th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

My favorite comment from the Civil War involved General John Pope, but I haven't been able to discover who the originator of it was.

John Pope was prone to making bombastic statements and speeches. When he came east, he said that his: "Headquarters would be in the saddle." Someone then said that Pope: "Had his headquarters where his hindquarters ought to be." Its hard to top that one.

John Pope Biography

Posted: Sun Feb 10th, 2013 12:21 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
50th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

While the quote about General Pope's hindquarters can't  be topped, the following statement, which has been attributed to General Jospeh E. Johnston, is also worthy of being included here:

"I know Mr. Davis thinks he can do a great many things other men would hesitate to attempt. For instance, he tried to do what God failed to do. He tried to make a soldier of Braxton Bragg."

Posted: Sun Feb 10th, 2013 11:58 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
51st Post
Mark

Mana: 

I'm not sure if I believe this one entirely (although it does fit the personality of the man involved) and I for the life of me I can't remember where I heard it from, but...

In the antebellum frontier army officers were hard to come by at times. Thus it was Captain Braxton Bragg found himself both a company commander and filling in as his post's Quartermaster. In in role as Company commander, Bragg filled out a requisition form for a needed piece of equipment and sent it to the Quartermaster department. The next day, in his role as Quartermaster, Bragg carefully reviewed the requisition, denied it and sent it back to Bragg the company commander. Upon receiving the rejection, Bragg (wearing his company commander hat once more) resubmitted the requisition with a letter of protest to the Quartermaster. Quartermaster Bragg then forwarded the whole matter to the post commander who is said to have exclaimed, "My God Mr. Bragg, you've quarreled with the whole army, and now you are quarreling with yourself!"

Like I said, I'm not sure if I believe it, but its a lovely story!

Mark

Last edited on Sun Feb 10th, 2013 12:18 pm by Mark

Posted: Sun Feb 10th, 2013 12:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
52nd Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Mark-

I had never heard that story before, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was true. Life in the Army in isolated posts between the years of the Mexican War and the Civil War could no doubt have been tedious and unsatisfying. If the story is true, perhaps Captain Bragg was simply bored with his existence.

Many officers who would become prominent in the Civil War left the Army during these years between the wars, only to return later and claim their places in history.

Posted: Sun Feb 10th, 2013 01:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
53rd Post
Mark

Mana: 

Ok, I found it. It's in Chapter 15 of Grant's memoirs. That was driving me nuts!

Mark

Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2013 05:49 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
54th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Forget the quote, the whole story is funny. Like an old Looney Tunes or Popeye baseball cartoon. I'm seeing Both Bugs and Popeye playing pitcher then racing to the plate as catcher, then back to the mound for the next pitch. Makes you wonder what was going through Bragg's head. Sadly it also has me thinking he'd probably be diagnoised today as having multiple personality disorder.

Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2013 09:33 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
55th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Hellcat-

Do you think that you would have liked any of the personalities?  ;)

Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2013 12:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
56th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

No clue to be honest. But like I said, I find the whole story of Bragg argueing with himself like that funny cause it sounds like it should have been fodder for a cartoon. One of those things that you wonder why the same man would be aruing back and forth with himself through correspondence. I mean I argue with myself, sometimes out loud. But never do I write myself asking for something and then write back saying I can't have it only to protest the denial.

And that's what's having me think that you'd probably get someone today diagnosis Bragg as having MPD rather than looking to see if Bragg didn't recgonize his own handwritting or if he was a little too retentive when it came to rules and regulations to the point where even when it was himself he had to completely follow the regs even though he knew he would be forced to turn himself down.

Posted: Fri Mar 22nd, 2013 07:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
57th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Since the subject of Joseph Wheeler was very recently brought up (by me) on another thread, I thought I would relate something that he allegedly said while serving as a U.S. major general in Cuba during the Spanish-American War. When ordering an attack, he allegedly shouted to his men: "Get those damned yankees!"

If the story is true, then one has to speculate whether it was said by mistake, or on purpose to get an effect. Below is a link that includes that story as part of the larger story of an important day in that war.

Heretic, Rebel, a Thing to Flout: Teddy’s Big Day—But the Buffalo Soldiers Did

Current time is 02:20 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1961 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 26 queries executed.