Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art > Civil War Books > The Last Generation : Young Virginians in Peace War and Reunion

The Last Generation : Young Virginians in Peace War and Reunion - Civil War Books - Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Jan 20th, 2007 05:54 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Has anyone read this book?  I keep looking at it and wondering what it is like .  Any comments? 

Posted: Sun Jan 21st, 2007 05:21 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Basecat

Mana: 

Susan,

I just got a copy of the book recently, but have not had the chance to read it yet.  Pete is a friend of mine, and know he had been researching for the book for years, and the reason he delved more deeply into this subject is because of the book he did on Willie Pegram. 

IMHO, Pete is one of the better and unsung young historians of the Civil War time period.  Naturally if he finds out I wrote this, I will deny I ever said it. ;)

I'd say, give the book a chance.  It looks at a part of the Civil War that is not frequently delved into.

Regards from the Garden State,

Steve Basic

Posted: Sun Jan 21st, 2007 08:33 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Steve thanks,  That book keeps calling my name.  I read the reviews on Amazon but wanted to know what you guys thought as I respect all of the opinions on here.  Will add it to the list . 

Posted: Sun Jan 21st, 2007 01:12 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
ole

Mana: 

Just a cautionary aside: I recently heard that Amazon is "cooking" the reviews. To wit, including only the good reviews and editing or eliminating the bad ones. Doesn't mean, Susan, that the book is not good, just that you might consider reading the reviews with a jaundiced eye.

Ole

Posted: Sun Jan 21st, 2007 01:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Ole I realize that about Amazon . That is why I posted the question here.  I wanted to know if anyone here had read it and what they thought of it.  I don't trust reviews on Amazon or any where else like I do asking a friend what they thought of a book or a movie. 

I have one friend , that if he doesn't like a movie I know it is one I will love. and If he loves the movie chances are I will be bored to death in it. 

I had read reviews in the Civil War Magazines about this book The Last Generation.  I am sure I will like it  just was asking here.  Basecat pretty much told me what I wanted to know. 

Posted: Sun Jan 21st, 2007 04:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
ole

Mana: 

Agreed. Your best bet is to ask here first. At least you will get the opinion of someone who shares your interest.

Ole

Posted: Sun Jan 21st, 2007 05:46 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Ole exactly my thought , which is also why I asked you about Wambaugh book.  So you did finish it right ?  I am so jealous as my budget for books is gone this month.  Like I am starved for something to read .  Ha.  Reading Varina Davis, and the newst Dana Stabenow book at the same time. 

Posted: Fri Feb 2nd, 2007 03:40 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Basecat

Mana: 

Evening all.

For those interested, Pete Carmichael will be the guest on tomorrow's installment of Civil War Talk Radio, and the topic will be on the book discussed in this thread.

Here is the link to the shows website

http://www.worldtalkradio.com/show.asp?sid=150

Hope all are well.

Regards from the Garden State,

Steve Basic

Posted: Wed Feb 7th, 2007 11:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Just finished Carmichael's book. Interesting study of a sub group of Virginian individuals, taken primarily from the last generation of planter/plantation owners sons prior to the onset of the cw. Slavery as an issue was not even discussed, it was a given to these individuals - beyond discussion. The main issue's for this generation were the sad state of Virginia prior to the cw, lagging behind the north in terms of economic/intelectual development, the "old foggies", i.e. Jubal Early, etc. which held to the premice of the cavalier society thus holding back Va to it's full potential, lack of economic potential for their generation leading to migration to other slave states, hope to attain the spirit of revolutionary ancestors - Washington, Jefferson, lack of religion in the north/abolutionists, etc. These individuals formed the middle echelon of the csa - lieu., cpts, etc., having the most contact with the privates or non-slave holding troops. Carmichael's use of christian righteousness as a basis for continued support of the confederacy even in the waining months of the war is an interesting discussion. The basic premise being if God is on our side hold can our cause be wrong. On the other hand, these same individuals seemed to change their principles in their golden years coming in line with the "old foggies" in order to substantiate their participation in the war is an interesting concept. In conclusion, Carmichaels book brings back memories of treatises which I read while in college. A good read to give the individual a sense of the college students etiologies in the south at the time.

Doc C

Posted: Wed Feb 7th, 2007 11:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Carmichael's primary premise for this groups participation/promoting the cw was bringing back Virginia to it's premier postion as the leading state in a southern conglomerate and achieving their place in the adult world which was apparently unattainable to them based on the socio-ecconomic conditions of their time. With the establishment of a southern government, Virginia and thus their generation would achieve a leadership role similar to that which their ancestors of the 18th century had achieved.

Doc C

Current time is 03:10 pm
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Entertainment: Books, Movies, Music & Art > Civil War Books > The Last Generation : Young Virginians in Peace War and Reunion

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1898 seconds (18% database + 82% PHP). 25 queries executed.