Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

14 year old colonel? - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Apr 15th, 2007 11:06 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Homeschool_Teen_02

Mana: 

I heard that there was a 14  year old boy who was a Colonel at the battle of Kenesaw!  Anyone have any news on that?:?

Cheers

Posted: Mon Apr 16th, 2007 01:14 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
missourianconfederate

Mana: 

Not that I know of. I know there where was a few 16-19 year Colonels on both Sides.. Youngest Yank General Was Brigadear General Pennypacker and I forgot the Confederate General but he was 20 I think it was Rogers..Or something I dunno someone correct me if I'm wrong...but Pennypacker was 17.

My Distant Cousin was a Major for General Sterling Price of the Missouri Brigade and Missouri State Guard. (I recently discovered this) My GUnc has his side arm.

But as for the 14 year old Colonel. It could happen but I'm from Marietta,GA(Kennesaw Mountain) where I was born and I moved to Missouri and I don't remember anyone telling me about Kennesaw Mountain there being a 14 year old Colonel. So I dunno.

Your obident servant,

Pvt Benjamin MLW (MOCONFED)

Posted: Mon Apr 16th, 2007 05:45 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

I know of no 14 year old colonels in the war, but there were a number of officers who were in their teens.

The youngest known was E.G. Baxter of the 7th Kentucky (CSA) who was made a lieutenant at the age of 13. Here is some information on boys seving as soldiers during the war.

Boys In The Civil War

The youngest colonel on the Confederate side was probably Henry King Burgwyn, Jr. of the 26th North Carolina. He was made a major at the age of 18, and at 20 was made a colonel and given command of his regiment. He was 21 when he was killed while leading the regiment.

UNC Virtual Museum : Item Viewer

On the Union side, Galusha Pennypacker was just past his 20th birthday when he was made a colonel. He won the Medal of Honor at Fort Fisher, and in April of 1865, shortly before his 21st birthday, he was made a brigadier general of volunteers. He was the youngest general in our history, and his record will likely stand forever.

Galusha Pennypacker (1844 - 1916) - Find A Grave Memorial

Posted: Mon Apr 16th, 2007 06:02 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

The youngest Confederate general was William Paul Roberts of North Carolina, born on July 11, 1841.

He started the war in 1861 as a private in the 19th North Carolina. On August 30, 1861, he was commissioned as a 3rd lieutenant (a rank that seemed to be unique to NC), and on September 13, 1861, a 1st lieutenant.

He progressed up the ranks and was made a colonel in 1864. He commanded a regiment at Petersburg. On February 23, 1865, he was made a brigadier general. He was then 23 years old. He was presented with gauntlets by General Lee himself.

Roberts commanded a brigade in W.H.F. Lee's division, and fought until the end at Appomattox. After the war, he returned to his home state and was a state legislator there.

William P. Roberts (1841 - 1910) - Find A Grave Memorial

Posted: Mon Apr 16th, 2007 06:26 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
smawson44

Mana: 

I believe that John Clem, the drummer of Shiloh, was at kennesaw Mountain, but he would have been a sergent or so at the time.  Although in later life he did rise to Major General, and so this could be who you're thinking of.  I also have grown up near Kennesaw but have heard nothing about a 14 year old Colonel, although it would be an interesting tale. 

Posted: Mon Apr 16th, 2007 07:04 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

John Lincoln Clem (originally John Joseph Klem) was born in Newark, Ohio on August 13, 1851. When the war began, he ran away from home and tried to enlist in the 3rd Ohio. He was refused, so he tried the 22nd Michigan. He was again refused, but was allowed to accompany the regiment as a drummer boy. At first, the officers chipped in to pay him the private's pay of $13.00 per month.

He did not rally the troops at Shiloh, as per the Disney legend. The person that may have corresponded to that role possibly was eight year old Lewis Easterly of the 9th Illinois. Clem was actually nicknamed: "The Drummer Boy of Chickamauga," where he allegedly shot a Confederate officer. He was made an honorary sergeant in recognition of his valor.

He served in the Atlanta campaign, where he was captured, and exchanged (or released), and later wounded. For a time he was an orderly for General Thomas, before being discharged from the Army in September of 1864.

After the war, he tried to get into West Point, but failed the entrance exam. In 1871, President Grant gave him a direct commission. He served in artillery for a time before transferring to the Quartermaster Corps. Eventually, he rose to the rank of major general before retiring in 1916. At that time, he was the last Civil War veteran on Army rolls. He survived until 1937.

John Lincoln Clem (1851 - 1937) - Find A Grave Memorial

Posted: Mon Apr 16th, 2007 08:43 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Johnny Clem was given an appointment by Grant himself to West Point but you are right he did not past the exam.  Matter of fact he failed it several times Not surprising considering when he should have been in school studying he was on the battlefield.  He had little education at all.  pretty hard to pass the exams without a basic education even.Thomas Jackson struggled to pass the exams when he went to West Point.  Interesting account of that in Class of 1846 by John Waugh. 

Last edited on Mon Apr 16th, 2007 04:10 pm by susansweet

Posted: Mon Apr 16th, 2007 03:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Marie

Mana: 

Susan,

Don't you mean Thomas Jackson?

Looking forward to meeting you in Spring Hill,

Jana

Posted: Mon Apr 16th, 2007 03:18 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Andrew Jackson did not attend West Point. In fact, he died in 1845.

Thomas Jonathan Jackson was indeed a member of the West Point Class of 1846. The fact that he was even there was another of many accidents of history that do take place, and always have

Jackson sought an appointment from a certain Congressman Hayes, but with his minimal education, he was outperformed by one Gideon Butcher, who was appointed. Butcher decided after one day at West Point that he did not wish to be there, so he resigned and returned home. Hearing about this, Jackson again sought the appointment, and managed to secure it.

As might be expected, he initially did poorly. West Point at that time provided the premier education in the country in engineering, and also in mathematics and the sciences. Many cadets had attended excellent private schools, and some even schools designed to prepare them to attend West Point. Its surprising that Jackson could survive in such a competitive environment.

But survive, he did. Starting near the bottem of the class, he improved his class ranking every year. At the end, he stood 17th out of 59, a considerable achievement. It can be attributed to sheer willpower. The joke among the other cadets was that if it was a five year course, Jackson would have been first.

Even so, it took a break for him to be able to make this achievement. One wonders if this had not happened, would we ever have heard of Thomas Jonathan Jackson?

Posted: Mon Apr 16th, 2007 04:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Marie ,  I can't believe I made that mistake again.  I know who Andrew Jackson is .  He is an interest of mine  I have been to his birthsite museum, his home outside Nashville and the Battle of New Orleans site.  I know who Thomas Jackson was again been to his home,  Statue at Manassas, two graves , and death site , I missed the arm buriel site. 

For some reason I say or type Andrew even when I mean Stonewall .  boy do I have egg on my face this morning.  Thanks you guys for finding the mistake.  I have corrected it .

Marie I am so excited about this muster at Spring Hill .  Is it too early to pack? 

Susan

You have chosen to ignore indy19th. click Here to view this post

Posted: Mon Apr 16th, 2007 08:46 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
missourianconfederate

Mana: 

Well I knew it was something with an R for the Confederates. I really dominately know Missourian Confederate point of view due to my family being prodominately Southern sympathizers. (Family is from Virgina,Georgia, and Missouri) But Ya. I know that in my Company and Regiment there was a 22 year old Major who I am related to as a cousin. And under Sterling Price I have a Major who was his aide-de-camp.

Current time is 11:41 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3767 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 27 queries executed.