Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Civil War Buffs - Other Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Sep 29th, 2005 02:04 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Rebellion

Mana: 

I was born in 1949 and have always been an American history buff. Growing up on a small WI dairy farm with not a lot of money we as children did a lot of play acting and used our imagination.  A favorite was cowboys and indians and another was Civil War. I can remember getting my first set of plastic blue & gray soldiers and playing with them for hours. We would set up battle formations and strategies with each side getting a fair amount of wins and losses.  I lost interest in history as I grew up, married, and raised a family, but rekindled the passion for history in 1993 after my sister died tragically at a young age. I needed something to occupy my time to help combat the awful feelings of grief and loss.  Since then I have traveled to Gettysburg, Picacho Peak in Arizona and Sharpsburg, Maryland and plan an extensive tour of Civil war Sites after retirement in a few years. I also have ancestors who fought on both sides of the war of whom I hvae researched extensively.  i appreciate the opportunity to share a part of my interest in the war and have enjoyed your stories as well.  Steve Daniels

Posted: Thu Sep 29th, 2005 08:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
GenHood

Mana: 

Mr. Daniels, I've been to Picacho Peak also!  You don't run across a lot of people who've been there, but I insisted on stopping when we were visiting AZ a few years ago.  It certainly is different than any CW battlefield I've ever visited.  I've also been to Gettysburg, but have yet to visit Sharpsburg.  It (or Chickamauga) will most likely be my next destination.  I particularly enjoyed Shiloh and Vicksburg, and also recommend a visit to Franklin, TN to see the many sites there, especially the Carter House and Carnton.  Thanks for sharing your story!

Posted: Fri Sep 30th, 2005 02:08 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Rebellion

Mana: 

I have a brother who lives in Wheaton, Ill. Is that anywhere near Urbana?  Steve

Posted: Fri Sep 30th, 2005 01:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Ulysses

Mana: 

Mr. Daniels...I have been involved  in Civil War reenacting and for forty years, been a

student of the Civil War.  Based upon your geographical location, might I recommend

a vist to Ft. Donelson in Dover, Tenn., during the living history program that brings

Grant & Buckner together?  Each year the crowd grows larger,  and Union & Confederate reenactors set up camps on the battlefield for the weekend. Grant &

Buckner are available for questions & photos and each man gives a presentation in the auditorium of the visitor's  center, where you will gain insight into lives of these

two old friends.  Ft. Donelson has a  museum and gift shop on the premisis and  a

very knowledgeable staff.

On Sunday, the surrender is reenacted at the Dover Hotel, which  still stands and

looks the same as it did in 1862.  This is a rather moving meeting of Buckner & Grant

as Buckner addresses his troops.  In the past few years, historians have viewed Ft.

Donelson as the place where the "North WON the Civil War", and several books are

out there filled with the claims that support that view.  The gift shop sells most of

the books I am referring to.  Hosted by the 50th Tennessee (CSA) and the NPS,  no

one leaves this event without feeling the importance of the Battle & the pain of the

losses suffered here.  Save time to visit the National Cemetery and Grant's headquarters location.  The event is planned for Feb. 18-19, 2006 so there is time

to make your plans.  No fees to attend these programs. Hope to see you there...

Your Most Obedient servant,....Ulysses

Posted: Fri Sep 30th, 2005 08:06 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
GenHood

Mana: 

I have an uncle who lives in Wheaton.  It's a suburb of Chicago, which is about 2 hours north of Urbana.

Posted: Fri Sep 30th, 2005 08:10 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
GenHood

Mana: 

Ft. Donelson is a wonderful visit.  I had no idea they had the February events, they sound very interesting and fun.  I will have to return and hopefully attend the ceremonies.  Thank you, sir,  for the dates and  information.

Yours, J. Parks

Current time is 01:48 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1478 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 26 queries executed.