Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Hurricanes - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Sep 30th, 2005 08:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
bomber

Mana: 

:)Hello I am new here. What a fantastic forum!

I am wondering if there were any hurricanes between 1861 and 1865 and if so what affect did they have?

Regards

Jim Armstrong

Centralia, Washington

Posted: Sun Oct 2nd, 2005 05:21 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Harry

Mana: 

Jim, you can check here, http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/E11.html, to get an idea of the number of storms that hit during that period.

I don't believe that any hurricanes struck Key West and Fort Taylor during that period--I haven't seen any documentation. I do know that an extremely violent hurricane struck this area in 1846. It destroyed all but three buildings on Key West, including the newly constructed lighthouse. The construction of Fort Taylor and Fort Jefferson had just begun when this storm struck. At Fort Taylor, four men from the works project were lost and construction materials were swept out to sea.

Harry

Posted: Sun Oct 2nd, 2005 09:13 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
bomber

Mana: 

Harry, Nice to hear from you.              Thank you for the info. It appears there were no major storms during the War. thanks again

Jim A.

Posted: Sun Oct 2nd, 2005 08:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
amhistoryguy

Mana: 

July 10, 1861 - In the West Atlantic, a hurricane struck, causing the vessel "Bowditch" to flounder. All the crew but one was lost.

August 16, 1861 - a hurricane struck the Florida coast. The Confederate brig. "Jefferson Davis," 187 tons, was lost.

August 21, 1861, what may have been the same storm as above, reported off the Carolina outer banks.

November 2, 1861 - Severe storm from Hatteras to Maine, hit Chesapeake Bay hard, sinking Union ship, killing men preparing for an expedition.

January 21 & 22, 1862 - Storm hit Hatteras Inlet, and along the Carolina coast.

February 17, 1862 - According to the Sunday Mercury, there was a "terrific gale" causing a large amount of damage including the leveling of a hospital.

September 1, 1862 - Washington D. C. hit with "force 6 winds," and over 1 inch of rain.

September 2, 1862 - Washington D. C. winds from the northwest at "force 4."

October 30, 1862 - Cape Hatteras, North Carolins, Hurricane strikes, two Union steamers lost - Union fleet "tossed about."

September 3, 1863 - Morris Island, Virginia - Stormy weather for 10 days suspends naval operations.

September 17, 1863 - Florida Northeast and Georgia hit by strong tropical storm.

April 21, 1864, Morris Island hit by hurricane, under four feet of water.

August 5, 1864 - Tornado at Pt.Lookout, Maryland. Private Adam Moore, Co. F, 20th Veteran Reserve Corp. was injured when the building he was guarding was destroyed.

August 19, 1864 - Hurricane hits Mobile Bay, Alabama.

September 18, 1864 - Tornado does damage at Johnson's Island, Ohio.

May 11, 1865, at 6:00 pm, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, a tornado touched down, killing one, injuring 15, and destroying 23 homes.

Regards, Dave Gorski

Posted: Sun Oct 2nd, 2005 11:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Hey amhistguy-

great info! Mind sharing your source? Would like to look deeper into this....very under-studied IMO

Posted: Mon Oct 3rd, 2005 12:45 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
amhistoryguy

Mana: 

Several years ago I began to keep a sort of Civil War weather log. Diaries, letters, newspaper articles, and OR entries, anything that made mention of the weather went into it. Many of those storms I posted are from the OR, and others are from newspaper reports, I'm sorry I can't be more specific. Being from such a variety of sources, if there is a specific storm you are interested in, I may be able to nail down a specific source, but the ones I posted are from all over the board.

Regards, Dave Gorski

Posted: Fri Nov 4th, 2011 09:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
pender

Mana: 

amhistoryguy wrote: July 10, 1861 - In the West Atlantic, a hurricane struck, causing the vessel "Bowditch" to flounder. All the crew but one was lost.

August 16, 1861 - a hurricane struck the Florida coast. The Confederate brig. "Jefferson Davis," 187 tons, was lost.

August 21, 1861, what may have been the same storm as above, reported off the Carolina outer banks.

November 2, 1861 - Severe storm from Hatteras to Maine, hit Chesapeake Bay hard, sinking Union ship, killing men preparing for an expedition.

January 21 & 22, 1862 - Storm hit Hatteras Inlet, and along the Carolina coast.

February 17, 1862 - According to the Sunday Mercury, there was a "terrific gale" causing a large amount of damage including the leveling of a hospital.

September 1, 1862 - Washington D. C. hit with "force 6 winds," and over 1 inch of rain.

September 2, 1862 - Washington D. C. winds from the northwest at "force 4."

October 30, 1862 - Cape Hatteras, North Carolins, Hurricane strikes, two Union steamers lost - Union fleet "tossed about."

September 3, 1863 - Morris Island, Virginia - Stormy weather for 10 days suspends naval operations.

September 17, 1863 - Florida Northeast and Georgia hit by strong tropical storm.

April 21, 1864, Morris Island hit by hurricane, under four feet of water.

August 5, 1864 - Tornado at Pt.Lookout, Maryland. Private Adam Moore, Co. F, 20th Veteran Reserve Corp. was injured when the building he was guarding was destroyed.

August 19, 1864 - Hurricane hits Mobile Bay, Alabama.

September 18, 1864 - Tornado does damage at Johnson's Island, Ohio.

May 11, 1865, at 6:00 pm, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, a tornado touched down, killing one, injuring 15, and destroying 23 homes.

Regards, Dave Gorski

This is great info. I had always wondered about hurricane's from 1861- 1865. Imagine what havoc a major hurricane would have played on the union blockade. Had always wondered if there was one during the war.

Pender

Current time is 12:28 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1544 seconds (14% database + 86% PHP). 26 queries executed.